mini display port to mini dvi adapter

Reaction score
Do they exist? I had an older (2007) MACbook go away. I have DVI for projector and for RCA cables to TV. Would like to just get a simple adapter so I could use my new MACbook Pro with the MACbook cables of days past. Are they out there?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As far as I am aware, there is no such adapter.

Doubling up adapters is almost always a bad idea to begin with.

If you have a DVI cable - might as well get a mdp to DVI adapter and use your DVI cable.
vs.
getting a mdp to mini-DVI (if there was one) then the mini-DVI to DVI adapter and the DVI cable.

You're not going to get to a composite (RCA) video output with any sort of adapter from the mdp on any of the new Macs. It will require a converter to convert the signal from digital to analog.

OP
P
Reaction score
(Some repeat info)

Had an old (2007) Macbook. Defunct. I still have two very functioning cables-one connected machine to a projector (is that DVI? or is the port on the machine called DVI?) and one that connects to the TV. I seek a simple adapter that goes into my new MBP mini display port to an end that can connect to the port to which these cables connected in the old macbook. What is that port called? And does this exist?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no way that we could have a clue which specific port you have been using on the projector and TV or what adapter(s) / cable(s) you have been using. You will need to supply that info.

Among the connections you could be using are:
Composite
Component
VGA
DVI
HDMI

And you could be using one of several adapters that connected to the mini-DVI port on the '07 model Macbooks.

If you have no clue what the ports on your devices or the adapters and cables are called, you can check this thread - link- head to post #4 where I have pics of the most commonly used ports.

You may also want to have a read of post #1.

As you'll see from that thread, there are so many audio/video ports in use today, that I am unable to make recommendations until I'm fairly confident that what I'm suggesting you purchase will work for you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(Some repeat info)

Had an old (2007) Macbook. Defunct. I still have two very functioning cables-one connected machine to a projector (is that DVI? or is the port on the machine called DVI?) and one that connects to the TV. I seek a simple adapter that goes into my new MBP mini display port to an end that can connect to the port to which these cables connected in the old macbook. What is that port called? And does this exist?

As you asked and was answered in the first 2 posts - your old MB is indeed a mini-DVI port and no, there is no such adapter as a mdp to mini-DVI adapter.

Take the old adapter off and what cables are you using? See the above post to figure that out.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the time and patience. I appreciate the pictures. It is indeed, as I was told, a mini-DVI port. I can't believe there is not simple adapter. It's only 3 years old...doesn't anyone else want to do this?:\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, because it's less trouble and less expensive to buy new cables and adapters. On line resellers like Monoprice.com have a wide variety of cables at discounted prices.

OP
P
Reaction score
Ok, checked out the TV. It's a Sony-Bravia KDL-26S3000 flat screen. I see it has 2 HDMI ports on the back. If I got me a mdp on my macbook pro, is that all I need? HDMI to HDMI, no need for Audio?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're going to additionally need an audio cable since your model MBP does not have the capability to output both video and audio thru the MDP. Go to the link I provided you above and you can buy the cables direct from them.

OP
P
Reaction score
Right. I already have audio cables (RCA?)--the red and white ones that plug into an adapter that goes into my headphone/mic jack on the MBP. THen the other ends go to the TV. Could this still work?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that should work. Let us know.

OP
P
Reaction score
it took a while to get to this, but I should have known it wasn't going to work because the audio cable is also mini DVI...same issue....so it goes. The other thing is that I got the Mini Display port to HDMI, but the screen goes blue and fuzzy frequently enough and for long enough that it's not pleasant or worth watching on the big screen. Is this a defect of the cable? or am I not doing something properly? mdp to hdmi #1.
thoughts?

OP
P
Reaction score
Revisiting, I was confused (not for the first time). I was looking at my old video connection to the mini dvi. So, i haven't tried the audio bit yet. Sorry to be such a slacker. In time though...

OP
P
Reaction score
MBP to TV, what about audio?

This a follow up to a thread mini display port to mini dvi adapter, 3-30-11. I've been a touch busy to watch any movies on this computer, hence check the audio piece. The problem: got a mdp to hdmi to the TV. Fine. got an adapter that goes into the computer that has audio 'holes' for the red and white RCA adapters that go into the TV. Nothing. The sound is fine on the computer, but not on the tv. Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have to use the stereo output jack on my MBP 09 for sound to the TV but the newer ones output
both audio and video on the display port. I am using both cables from Monoprice an HDMI to MDP and stereo mini to RCA
left and right phono.

Reaction score
This a follow up to a thread mini display port to mini dvi adapter, 3-30-11. I've been a touch busy to watch any movies on this computer, hence check the audio piece. The problem: got a mdp to hdmi to the TV. Fine. got an adapter that goes into the computer that has audio 'holes' for the red and white RCA adapters that go into the TV. Nothing. The sound is fine on the computer, but not on the tv. Thoughts?

If the audio cable from the MBP to the TV is the correct one (stereo headphone breakout to left and right composite/RCA), then it may be an issue with the television.

It's likely that if the TV is receiving a video signal via HDMI, it is also trying to pick up the audio signal from the same source as HDMI is designed to carry both video and audio.

You may check and see if there's a way to set up your video source as HDMI and your audio as a separate source.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you do have a current generation MBP and you did indeed purchase the correct mdp to HDMI adapter, your issue might be solved by opening up System Preferences - Sound - Output and selecting your TV from the menu and forget that separate audio cable you have. Of course, this needs to be done while you have the TV connected.

Sorry, but if the above doesn't do it for you and you are looking for a specific solution to get your setup working and not a generic answer, you "must" provide more detail. This is not an option unless you want to spend another 2 months figuring it out.

1. Specifically, what Mac do you have - saying you have a new one doesn't cut it. I've seen plenty of folks say they got a new Mac only to discover after half a dozen posts it was 2-8 years old and was new to no one but themselves.

2. What adapter(s) and/or cable(s) are you using - as in a link to the specific mdp to hdmi that you are using - (not worried about the audio portion yet even though that's what you're trying to get working at this point).

3. The model of your TV - which you've supplied already, so we're good there. Sony-Bravia KDL-26S3000

And since this is really a continuation of the original thread - I've merged it back with that one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.