iphone 4 screen TOTALLY shattered :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Oh the irony...

After buying a new case (still waiting on shipping) I dropped my new iphone 4 on the street screen first. Totally shattered, even cut myself on the glass.

So two important questions that hopefully you guys can really help with.

1. I still have my 3G and need something until I figure this out. I backed up my iphone 4 on itunes but how do I activate my 3g and go back to that in the meantime?

2. Does anyone know what I can do with the phone now? Apple's closed now so I can't call them right now, but do they have the same deal like they do with water damage where I bring it in and can get it replaced for the $299 price I paid for it?

Thanks so much guys....so darn bummed out right now :(

Reaction score
Hello, I am assuming that the $299 you paid for it was with the two year contract?

Out of my experiences, not many phone companies will sell you another iPhone for the same price, you will have to pay for it full price.

You could possibly look to places like iResQ or a similar website who can replace the broken glass, LCD, and Digitizer for a fairly good price. iResQ is an authorized apple repair, and I've only heard great things. I would make sure it is what you need before you send off, maybe shoot them an email and ensure that is what you need.

All you need to do to "activate" your old iphone should be to insert your sim card, I am not sure you would have to do anything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
All you need to do to "activate" your old iphone should be to insert your sim card, I am not sure you would have to do anything else.

You might have to re-sync your contacts, but other than that you should be good to go.

-Kyle

OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello, I am assuming that the $299 you paid for it was with the two year contract?

Out of my experiences, not many phone companies will sell you another iPhone for the same price, you will have to pay for it full price.

You could possibly look to places like iResQ or a similar website who can replace the broken glass, LCD, and Digitizer for a fairly good price. iResQ is an authorized apple repair, and I've only heard great things. I would make sure it is what you need before you send off, maybe shoot them an email and ensure that is what you need.

You might have to re-sync your contacts, but other than that you should be good to go.

-Kyle

Hey guys...doesn't seem like I can just sync the phone to activate it and different sim cards so they don't both fit. Thanks so much for the responses though!

Going to go into to Apple and see what they can do. I know that they still have the water damage deal that I've used on my 3G before where if you water damage it you can just bring it in and exchange for a new one that's exactly like yours for the same early upgrade cost. In my case the $299 I hope they have that for the iphone 4 glass breaking issue and I'm still within my 30 day period from when I bought it.

Crossing my fingers :/

Reaction score
Oh you have a MicroSD. If Apple cannot do anything for you, you may have to purchase a regular sim card from your carrier (AT&T, Verizon, etc.)

Hopefully apple can do something to help you out in your situation!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
Ouch, this hurts. I shattered the back of my iPhone 4 about four months ago. It got jumping jacked on at Army Reserve drill. (Don't ask) Anyway, I know the Apple store will replace the back for $29USD but I'm not sure about the front. I'm sure they charge a lot more for that. I don't have a solution for you, I just wanted to convey my sympathy!

OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok guys!

Wanted to update everyone on this!

First of all, thanks so much for all the help and concern!

So here's the deal, took it over to apple and they can't just replace the glass because it's the front screen that's totally shattered.

But like with water damaged phones they do have a program that let's you swap out phones and get a brand new one of the same type (black and 32GB) for $199. An expensive mistake...yep :/ but I would rather have a brand new phone then a repaired one (that's just me).

So if you smash your phone...know that you can always go to Apple and that option is always on the table.

Thanks again guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Ok guys!

Wanted to update everyone on this!

First of all, thanks so much for all the help and concern!

So here's the deal, took it over to apple and they can't just replace the glass because it's the front screen that's totally shattered.

But like with water damaged phones they do have a program that let's you swap out phones and get a brand new one of the same type (black and 32GB) for $199. An expensive mistake...yep :/ but I would rather have a brand new phone then a repaired one (that's just me).

So if you smash your phone...know that you can always go to Apple and that option is always on the table.

Thanks again guys!

That is really good news! I mean, it's a shame it isn't a little cheaper than $200, but at least the option is there if it ever happens. That isn't part of Apple Care is it? Did you have Apple Care on that iPhone?
As klutzy as my wife is, I have a feeling this will be something we have to do some day.

OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is really good news! I mean, it's a shame it isn't a little cheaper than $200, but at least the option is there if it ever happens. That isn't part of Apple Care is it? Did you have Apple Care on that iPhone?
As klutzy as my wife is, I have a feeling this will be something we have to do some day.

Unfortunately no it's not part of apple care and in fact neither the original warranty or apple care will cover accidental damage like dropping or water damage etc. But compared to many other phone manufactures I guess it's pretty cool that they will at least let you buy an iphone "at cost" compared to having to pay full off contract pricing of $699.

Seriously, get a good case for your 4. It's far more fragile than the 3G ever was. My new case from Incase arrives on Thursday and it can't come sooner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.