G-DRIVE MINI causing slow/hanging. Can someone please help me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 24" imac osx 10.7.5, 2.16 GHz 4 m SDRAM(low latency), IPHONE 5s 64 ,IPAD 3RD GEN. 64G verizon
I installed Leopard 3 days ago then went to the Apple store and got snow leopard and a g-drive that is formatted for Apple computers, when I installed them I had Apple care walk me thru it and wiped the hard-drive without having any documents ,setting, photos backed up. What a LOSS.
I have 4 g of OWC low latency memory coming that should be here tomorrow. When I restart or shut down while the g drive is connected with 800 firewire , sometimes it will hang on the blue screen until I turn off or unplug the g drive mini GEN4 500GB/7200RPM, then it will continue to start / shut down. The g-drive has been connected with 800 firewire. When I shut the computer down when the 800 firewire is connected the light on the g drive stays on. For a short test I connected the g-drive using USB at the back of the computer, the light on the g-drive will go off when I shut the computer off. I would rather use 800 firewire for the g-drive because that way I can plug all usb devices into the back of the computer. If I use USB on the G DRIVE I may have to use a USB hub depending on weather the Apple USB phone modem will run using USB 1.1 on the back of the keyboard. Apple care had me do a P RAM reset to try to fix the hanging/slow problem, But I am still experiencing the problem. Friday I ordered Epson's Artisan 725 All-in-one Arctic edition, I found a online coupon for $20 off. Today I got an E-mail from epson and the printer is on sale for $99 off .It has not even been delivered yet, it will be delivered tuesday. Just my kind of lick, I will call epson tomorrow (Monday) and try to have them refund the difference. It is a photo quality printer thats WHITE like my I-MAC for $100 if I can get them to refund the difference. The sale is now if anyone wants one.My old Cannon MP600 doesn't seem to be 100% compatible with Snow Leopard when it comes to scanning.
1 Will hanging / slowdowns stop if I use USB on the g drive?
2 Is apples usb phone modem able to use the USB 1.1 on the back of my keyboard without slowing the modem down?
G-drive is and will probably only be used for Time Machine.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 24" imac osx 10.7.5, 2.16 GHz 4 m SDRAM(low latency), IPHONE 5s 64 ,IPAD 3RD GEN. 64G verizon
G-DRIVE MINI causing slow/hanging on my IMAC . Can someone please help me

I installed Leopard 3 days ago then went to the Apple store and got snow leopard and a g-drive that is formatted for Apple computers, when I installed them I had Apple care walk me thru it and wiped the hard-drive without having any documents ,setting, photos backed up. What a LOSS.
I have 4 g of OWC low latency memory coming that should be here tomorrow. When I restart or shut down while the g drive is connected with 800 firewire , sometimes it will hang on the blue screen until I turn off or unplug the g drive mini GEN4 500GB/7200RPM, then it will continue to start / shut down. The g-drive has been connected with 800 firewire. When I shut the computer down when the 800 firewire is connected the light on the g drive stays on. For a short test I connected the g-drive using USB at the back of the computer, the light on the g-drive will go off when I shut the computer off. I would rather use 800 firewire for the g-drive because that way I can plug all usb devices into the back of the computer. If I use USB on the G DRIVE I may have to use a USB hub depending on weather the Apple USB phone modem will run using USB 1.1 on the back of the keyboard. Apple care had me do a P RAM reset to try to fix the hanging/slow problem, But I am still experiencing the problem. Friday I ordered Epson's Artisan 725 All-in-one Arctic edition, I found a online coupon for $20 off. Today I got an E-mail from epson and the printer is on sale for $99 off .It has not even been delivered yet, it will be delivered tuesday. Just my kind of lick, I will call epson tomorrow (Monday) and try to have them refund the difference. It is a photo quality printer thats WHITE like my I-MAC for $100 if I can get them to refund the difference. The sale is now if anyone wants one.My old Cannon MP600 doesn't seem to be 100% compatible with Snow Leopard when it comes to scanning.
1 Will hanging / slowdowns stop if I use USB on the g drive?
2 Is apples usb phone modem able to use the USB 1.1 on the back of my keyboard without slowing the modem down?
G-drive is and will probably only be used for Time Machine.
I do not think that anybody could run fast enough to give me a truck-load of Windows computers.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I bought a Apple Time Capsule to use for wi-fi and Time machine then used the G-drive mini gen4 7200 RPM on USB for I-Photo and I-Tunes, would this solve my hang/slow problem that it has sometimes , when it shuts down and starts up ?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I bought a Apple Time Capsule to use for wi-fi and Time machine then used the G-drive mini gen4 7200 RPM on USB for I-Photo and I-Tunes, would this solve my hang/slow problem that it has sometimes , when it shuts down and starts up ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Please don't crosspost or ask your question multiple times in different places.

The Community Guidelines state:

Post appropriately.
Search first, post things in the right place, use descriptive thread titles, and don't crosspost. Those things will help get you more timely responses and help keep our community nice and tidy.

Thanks for understanding!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
update of Epson printer sale this week

I called Epson , They sail they would put $100 back into my account. They are GREAT. Do not forget about the white Epson printer on sale this week at Epson.com. Its a photo quality printer. I now have my memory maxed out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.