iPad as a computer for my daughter

Reaction score
I have a daughter who is in 3rd grade, just starting to benefit from using a computer for her schoolwork. Rather than a traditional computer, I'm wondering if an iPad2 is actually a much better option. (certainly she would love it)

All a kid would need is word-processing, internet access, and some basic computing tools photo editing perhaps. I could get a her a keyboard for serious typing.

Throw in, games, face-time, and iTunes and you've got all of the other, non-school-related things a kid would want as well. Especially if there was a SD slot for easy photo loading.

Can anyone think of any reason why a $499 iPad wouldn't work great for a kid's computer?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I would say no, an iPad is not the right option.

If she needs it for school work, especially word processing, an iPad is not an ideal solution. Besides the fact it's not easy to put files on or get them off as seamlessly as it should be, the iPad's version of Pages is not at all full featured and I doubt it would be the best choice.

Also there are no photo editing apps really for the iPad.

The iPad is best thought of a a content consumption machine: reading, watching video, surfing the net, playing games. It's really not the right tool for content creation.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have to agree with the above.

OP
G
Reaction score
I would say no, an iPad is not the right option.

If she needs it for school work, especially word processing, an iPad is not an ideal solution. Besides the fact it's not easy to put files on or get them off as seamlessly as it should be, the iPad's version of Pages is not at all full featured and I doubt it would be the best choice.

Also there are no photo editing apps really for the iPad.

The iPad is best thought of a a content consumption machine: reading, watching video, surfing the net, playing games. It's really not the right tool for content creation.

Makes sense. I definitely need to play around with iPad's pages. It is certainly more intuitive and easier for a kid than Word. Is it really not powerful enough for 4th-6th grade book reports?

As far as files go, I was looking at a family MobileMe plan with iDisk storage as an option for files.

There's no question a $1,500 mac would be best, but I'm thinking of this as either an iPad or a $500 laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Makes sense. I definitely need to play around with iPad's pages. It is certainly more intuitive and easier for a kid than Word. Is it really not powerful enough for 4th-6th grade book reports?

I'm going to say no, it's probably not. Especially if any of these reports would involve multi-tasking like researching stuff on the internet while writing the paper. It's just not convenient or powerful enough.

As far as files go, I was looking at a family MobileMe plan with iDisk storage as an option for files.

That's not how files are stored or retrieved on the iPad. It all has to be managed through iTunes in a very clunky manner.

There's no question a $1,500 mac would be best, but I'm thinking of this as either an iPad or a $500 laptop.

Why does she need her own machine? If she's that young, why not just give her an account on the family computer?

OP
G
Reaction score
why not just give her an account on the family computer?

That's part of my dilemma. The wife and I each have macbook pros. We don't really have a "family" computer per se.

These seem like pretty big hurdles here and that maybe the iPad really wouldn't work. Tis a shame.

Just a little more power behind Pages and a little better, non-itunes file-management and it could work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's part of my dilemma. The wife and I each have macbook pros. We don't really have a "family" computer per se.

These seem like pretty big hurdles here and that maybe the iPad really wouldn't work. Tis a shame.

Just a little more power behind Pages and a little better, non-itunes file-management and it could work.

I doubt the iPad would be able to be a full-time computer for at least a few more revisions at best. It's not really meant to be that at this point.

Why not look at a Mac mini maybe as an alternative?

OP
G
Reaction score
Why not look at a Mac mini maybe as an alternative?

Sounds like that might be my best bet.

From apple's website:

The three iWork productivity applications help students and teachers put together professional-looking documents, presentations, and spreadsheets no matter where they are. Pages is a powerful word processor with simple-to-use layout tools and a large onscreen keyboard. With Keynote, it’s easy to create presentations with stunning animations and effects. And Numbers lets students and teachers build compelling, attractive spreadsheets in minutes, including tables and charts. When you finish what you’ve been working on, just tap the AirPrint icon to print it out directly from your iPad.

This was the part that got me excited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This was the part that got me excited.

Apple is really good at marketing speak. ;)

Unfortunately, the effort to make these "professional quality" documents on the iPad is much greater and more frustrating that it really should be in reality.

OP
G
Reaction score
Now I'm wondering about getting a mac mini to serve as our family computer, largely as a place to store files, photos, etc.

Using an iPad, is it possible to store and access files and photos from a mac mini using wifi? (beyond mobile me)

Could a mac mini be the computing guts while a iPad is, effectively, the monitor?

OP
G
Reaction score
That's not how files are stored or retrieved on the iPad. It all has to be managed through iTunes in a very clunky manner.

I wonder if this will be changing with the iPad2. It looks like both MobileMe and the iWork suite are getting an overhaul and dropbox functionality would be added.

MobileMe Cloud clues found? Dropbox-like functionality? | 9 to 5 Mac MobileMe Cloud clues found? Dropbox-like functionality? | Apple Intelligence

If there was a dropbox-like solution for files within a family MobileMe cloud, wouldn't that eliminate the mess of accessing files with iTunes?

Of course, if Pages still isn't good enough on the iPad then it wouldn't really work anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No one will know until Apple announces it. Right now the only way to manage files is through iTunes.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that the main reason a "regular" computer like a laptop or a Mac-mini would be best for your daughter...is this type of hardware is what she will most likely be using when she's in school (at least initially). But who knows in a few years how the computing industry & technology will evolve.

On Mac-Forums we've had many discussions regarding "Can an iPad be a replacement for a laptop?"...and the consensus is no (especially for a student that may need a more "full-fledged" set of features that "regular" computers offer).

Plus you want this "computing device" to at least be "mostly compatible" with what the hardware & software the school your daughter will be attending has. If the school was using iPads...I'd say...get an iPad. But many schools are using laptops & desktops...so that's what is probably best for her.

So for now...a "regular" Mac laptop or Mac-mini is probably the best choice.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
"Can an iPad be a replacement for a laptop?"

It is for me. I sold my MacBook after I got the iPad and realized I hadn't turned on the laptop in two months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is for me. I sold my MacBook after I got the iPad and realized I hadn't turned on the laptop in two months.

So you don't have any other computers and you never connect your iPad to iTunes for updates?

OP
G
Reaction score
"Can an iPad be a replacement for a laptop?"...and the consensus is no (especially for a student that may need a more "full-fledged" set of features that "regular" computers offer

I just spent some time at the apple store playing around with Pages 2009, creating documents, adding images, etc., and it works great. This is certainly good enough for the word processing needs of an elementary-middle school-aged kid. At some point - maybe tuesday - iWork 2011 will be released and Pages should be even better.

I agree that a "regular" computer is needed for the occasional complex task, it does look like the iPad1 can probably do 95% of what a kid would need for school. The iPad2 should be even better, especially with the next iWork and potentially better MobileMe dropbox-like file sharing.

I'm thinking that as long as my daughter could use my macbook pro if there was ever something she couldn't do on her iPad, she probably wouldn't need it more than once every couple of months.

Younger kids, say 12 and under, probably don't need many "full-fledged" features anyway. Mainly word processing, the internet, and photos.

I guess when the new iPad and hopefully iWork are out we can re-evaluate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You pretty much seem to have your mind made up on this despite the advice you're being given. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Like "Schweb" said (and I was thinking the same)...sounds like you're convinced that the iPad 1.0 will be fine....and if that's the case great!:)

You're certainly the person in the best position to determine the computing needs for your daughter. If you feel an iPad will get the job done...go for it!:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
You pretty much seem to have your mind made up on this despite the advice you're being given. :)

Not completely (but close).

I do want it to work. :D It would kill many pigs with one bird: It's relatively cheap. It is really intuitive. It is portable. It plays games and music. With all of the apps it has huge educational and cultural benefits. And, kids love them.

Most people (who aren't using them for work) use computers for email, internet, photos, calendars, and the occasional document. It seems like the iPad is close to being good enough to be the only "computer" needed for kids, younger students, and retirees. That's a big market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I disagree. It is not anywhere near ready as a computer replacement. Sorry, but it's the truth. And that's pretty much the answer you'd get from 99% of people who have spent a good deal of time using them.

If you feel it will work as that, I do wish you luck, but it goes against what the majority of actual users would tell you.

In the end it's your choice, but don't say we didn't warn you. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.