iPad as a computer for my daughter

Reaction score
What about a refurbed Air? It wouldn't be much more than an iPad and it would be more computer-like. It's still very portable and friendly for all the other things in your list
This suggests that the reason for the iPad is cheapness? For me I switched from an Air to the iPad as my mobile computer because the iPad does so many of the functions I need better than any laptop.

OP
G
Reaction score
yes, I think an iPad could handle what an eight-year-old will want (or be allowed) to do with it

Some people here don't think the iPad offers enough features to be a good-enough computer for an elementary school kid. Others think that, for word-processing and internet browsing, it is just fine.

I like the refurb macbook option for more computing power, but the iPad does so many other cool things that a macbook doesn't do.

So, to all of you who don't think the iPad is good enough for 95% of what an elementary/middle school kid would do for school, can you give any specific examples of something it can't do?

Remember, for me at least, I will have another computer for my kid to use if they absolutely have to.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I like the refurb macbook option for more computing power, but the iPad does so many other cool things that a macbook doesn't do.

Huh? What does the iPad do that a Macbook can't? I think it's the other way around. ;)

So, to all of you who don't think the iPad is good enough for 95% of what an elementary/middle school kid would do for school, can you give any specific examples of something it can't do?

I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure it's worth even trying to convince you any longer. Given the responses you have to those of us saying the iPad isn't the best option, you really seem to have made up your mind. Some will confirm you choice, but most won't.

You'll just need to decide. You said you went to the Apple store and looked at it and you feel it will be fine. If that's your observation, then go for it! :)

Reaction score
I think their main point isn't what it can or can't do, it's that it is not ideal for some things. Someone pointed out multi-tasking; switching between research in a browser and typing a report with those findings in a word processor. This is a good example where a larger screen and real computer might be better. The tradeoff is whether the iPad does enough other things better to be worth the effort. I do find it less efficient to bounce between apps on the iPad than on a computer.

Reaction score
What does the iPad do that a Macbook can't?
Sit in my hand being driven by a finger is the most obvious one. Walking around and doing things is far easier with the iPad than my old Air. Many of the apps are far more efficient at doing what they need to do than using a browser on a computer. If I want to read Craig's list, for example, I grab my iPad even if I'm sitting at the computer. When I'm looking through VMware server settings and utilization I find it easier to just flip through it on the iPad rather than fire up the VMware client software on my computer. Etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sit in my hand being driven by a finger is the most obvious one.

Doubtful most people are walking around using their iPad, most are probably sitting somewhere just like they would with a Macbook.

Many of the apps are far more efficient at doing what they need to do than using a browser on a computer.

That's completely subjective. Personally, I think the iPad is very usable, but very rarely would I say it's more efficient or easier to do most things on compared to an actual laptop. It's fun, it's convenient, but it's hardly a giant efficiency gain, especially for most things, over an actual laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
OP, why don't you get her a netbook, especially for her age? I would be afraid of a brand new Macbook or an iPad being dropped or broken. If you really want her to use Mac, you can get a netbook and put hackintosh on it (I'm not sure if that's against the rules, but i'm just saying). I didn't get my first computer until i was in 8th grade and honestly, it became the death me because i was always on it. I personally think 3rd grade is way too young to have a computer. Perhaps a nice option would be to get a Mac mini for the household which she could use, as well as you can use for small tasks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would be afraid of a brand new Macbook or an iPad being dropped or broken.

That's actually a very good point to consider regardless of what gets purchased.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb
Your daughter is not allowed to have an iPad... when I was in 3rd grade, I had a Commodore 64!

Seriously, though... I like the idea of a Mac mini. I have one hooked up to my LCD TV in the living room. It is my main computer, as well as being part of our entertainment system. I have a monitor in the office that I can hook it up to if I want to use it away from the living room... which may be a nice option for you, since you will probably want to watch TV at some point while your daughter is working on something for school. The mini is VERY easy to move from one place to another. You might want a power cord in each location to make it that much easier. Having a wireless keyboard and mouse makes it super portable.

I only wish that there was an EASY way to use my iPad as a screen for the mini. I can do it with my remote access app, but it is going over wifi, so the refresh rate is far too slow.

Someone also mentioned that in order to print from an iPad, you would need a printer that is air print capable. I have one (HP Photosmart c410a), and it is fantastic! It works wirelessly (wifi) between my wife's Windows notebook and my mini, and also works great with my iPad and both of our iPhone 4s. Another thing I like is that it is an all-in-one machine, so it will scan, too... and can scan to either computer wirelessly. It won't scan directly to the iPad or iPhone, though.

Reaction score
I think the fact that a third grader 'needs' a computer is a little hard to believe; even if use of one were required, the school would have to offer one for her to use (obviously only while she's at school).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think the fact that a third grader 'needs' a computer is a little hard to believe; even if use of one were required, the school would have to offer one for her to use (obviously only while she's at school).

I don't know. I think introducing a computer at an early age is very important. I had a Commodore 64 at age 7 - and I think that's what really jump-started my career. I learned a lot from the C64, even though my main interest was really games. In time, I learned to program, type and even the elements of logic and troubleshooting.

My oldest is in Kindergarten and they've already sent him home with a laundry list of websites to play on. All of them are well done and subtly encourage them to read early on.

I don't know if it helps the OP, but my plan for my 6-year-old is to find a good, used, ordinary Windows notebook. I intend to format the hard drive and install "Edubuntu", which is the Ubuntu Linux distro geared toward kids. It comes complete with content filtering and a host of educational software. I can't see a Mac being a better fit - even at this age. And of course if it gets lost/stolen or broken, it's a $200 loss instead of $500 or $1000.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13"MBP 2.53GHz 4GB 10.6 250GB Seagate Hybrid SSD
After reading through all previous posts it seems to me there is a major split between what I would call the "moderators/heavy forum users" and the "casual forum users."

Obviously, I place myself in the "casual" group, but I agree—to an extent—that the iPad is not going to readily serve a third grader's computing needs.

Yes, it does do a lot of cool things and is very intuitive and fun...

But do you really think it's worth the headache of helping her save her files and print them and so on?

I say get her a netbook or Mac Mini and an iPod Touch for educational apps and games.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.