Is there a command line like this?

Reaction score
Is there a command line that someone types in and it just clears out their whole hard drive? kinda like deleting system 32 on a windows?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not as an ordinary user. You would need to use sudo (and your admin password) to escalate permissions and from there you could do some damage with any number of different commands. But we won't be going into that here as there's no practical use for it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Not as an ordinary user. You would need to use sudo (and your admin password) to escalate permissions and from there you could do some damage with any number of different commands. But we won't be going into that here as there's no practical use for it.

can you please help me? i understand that sudo means you go out of the boundaries that mac has set for you and it makes you take actions that only people that know what they are doing should take. but can you tell me the command line that would wipe out the hard drive?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can you please help me? i understand that sudo means you go out of the boundaries that mac has set for you and it makes you take actions that only people that know what they are doing should take. but can you tell me the command line that would wipe out the hard drive?

Sure thing. Just tell me what you're trying to accomplish. I can see no practical reason other than to mess with somebody else. If you're just trying to wipe your own system to start clean, there are much better and more straightforward ways to do so.

OP
D
Reaction score
Sure thing. Just tell me what you're trying to accomplish. I can see no practical reason other than to mess with somebody else. If you're just trying to wipe your own system to start clean, there are much better and more straightforward ways to do so.

no no of course not! its just i was reading something about adjusting a WoW add-on and it said to type in a sudo command and stupid me, i type it in and my computer freezes. i restart my computer and all i get is a white screen with my hard drive showing and a "?" on it. i went to the apple store and thankfully all i had to do was insert my cd's that came with the computer and everything is running. the only problem is i cant find the place where i found that command line and im very curious as to what i did. so if you can tell me the command line that does that to your computer maybe i can remember if thats the one i typed in or if i just did something rong and didnt type it in write.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no no of course not! its just i was reading something about adjusting a WoW add-on and it said to type in a sudo command and stupid me, i type it in and my computer freezes. i restart my computer and all i get is a white screen with my hard drive showing and a "?" on it. i went to the apple store and thankfully all i had to do was insert my cd's that came with the computer and everything is running. the only problem is i cant find the place where i found that command line and im very curious as to what i did. so if you can tell me the command line that does that to your computer maybe i can remember if thats the one i typed in or if i just did something rong and didnt type it in write.

There are many commands that can do such a thing. It would be nigh-impossible to guess at which one did it to you with any degree of accuracy.

OP
D
Reaction score
There are many commands that can do such a thing. It would be nigh-impossible to guess at which one did it to you with any degree of accuracy.

is there a one thats commonly used/known?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is there a one thats commonly used/known?

Nope, because purging a hard drive for legitimate purposes is typically done from Disk Utility.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can you just tell me the command line to wipe out a hard drive please

Sorry, no. As I've explained there isn't any one command. There are many ways to wipe a drive with the Terminal. After all, the commands that run there are the functional equivalent of the GUI-based utilities built into the OS.

Your system appears to be back in order and I believe you've learned your lesson with using 'sudo', particularly when you don't understand what the command does. Best advice here would be to keep this in mind for the future.

I think we're done here (well, at least I am ;) ). Best of luck to you.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
can you just tell me the command line to wipe out a hard drive please
no no of course not! its just i was reading something about adjusting a WoW add-on and it said to type in a sudo command and stupid me, i type it in and my computer freezes.
Why not just go back to that article and see what it said there?

As a piece of advice - if someone tells you to execute something and you don't know what it is, don't do it especially if you are unfamiliar with the command line.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There is one command that can recursively and forcibly remove files and directories..and that's "rm"..couple that with the "sudo" command and the path of "/" and it's very easy to wipe out the contents of your HD..

As @Vansmith said, don't run commands that you don't understand..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.