Restoring lost mail?

Reaction score
I deleted one of my email accounts going into Mail. I did not think it through to realize it would remove all of the emails I had sent from that account and received to that account. I back up my computer every few days so have all the mail in backups. The account was a POP through my domain at GoDaddy. I removed the POP and instead set up a forward to go through an IMAP Gmail account. I have added the IMAP account back into Mail.

So the question is how can I restore the emails from the old account back into Mail from my backup? Mail will not let me set the POP account back up, of course, because the account really does not exist. Not sure what to do.

If I have to completely reset up the POP email on my domain to rectify this, I could do that but I would rather leave the email as a forward through Gmail.

TIA!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I believe the answer to the question lies within the manual of the software that you use to backup your computer.

You have given us very little information to work with.

Please elaborate a bit more.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
I
Reaction score
I HATE Safari - but that is the topic of another post. For right now, I will just rewrite the long reply that just was lost. (On Firefox I could have used the back button and still had my post! I am switching back! Safari seems to play nicer with Evernote but losing work is not worth it!)

Backblaze - a phenomenal backup program - is not the issue nor the question. Backblaze backs up everything just like it looks like on my computer. So no problem to go to User/Library/Mail and retrieve the folder "[email protected]".

The question is what I then do with the data to get mail to see it. I have tried the following things.
1. Put the POP folder into the User/Library/Mail. Nope. Mail does not see it singe the account was officially deleted from Mail.
2. Renamed Inbox.mbox to Inbox.imapmbox and put it in the gmail folder replacing the one that was in there. Nope. Mail does not "see" the messages.
3. Put the original Inbox.imapmbox back into the gmail account and pasted a copy of all the messages in there. Nope. Mail does not "see" the messages.
4. The messages are all fine. I can open them from the finder window and they open as an email - but I cannot figure out how to get them to be listed anywhere in the Mail program.
5. Set up a new Mailbox on my Mac. Put the messages in it. Nope. Mail does not "see" the messages.
6. Set up a new Mailbox in my gmail account. Put the messages in it. Nope. Mail does not "see" the messages.

There is probably something entirely obvious that I am missing - but missing it I am. TIA for a solution, if anyone can help me figure one out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
For the record, that has nothing to do with Safari. Whether or not your data is remembered when you press back is dependent on how the site is setup, data is called, etc. It is not a feature of the browser. If you lost it in Safari, you would have lost it in Firefox.

OP
I
Reaction score
Persistence! I ran Rebuild in Mail and it suddenly shows all of the emails in the folder/mailbox I made on my Mac. (#5 in the email above.) In case anyone is reading this someday looking for help with their problem "Rebuild" is found as the last item under Mailbox.

Reaction score
Help! My Mail 3.6 deleted all messages (there were hundreds) dated before June, 2009. Dunno when it happened. Discovered it today. My Time Machine backups also have no messages before that date! Anyone know what happened?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.