16 years PC, now over to MAC: Help! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...
Like most people switching I am having my challenges figuring out several things which I'm used to using on PC but can't find on MAC. I have a bunch of questions but I'll start of with a single question:

In my folder where I have my music files I like to work with the "Title" of the songs. E.g. in iTunes the songs are often arranged by title.

I can't view or edit the title. It's just not visible anywhere. When clicking "show view options", "title" is not listed. I can't right click on the top bar (with "name", "date modified" etc.) and choose "title". I have no idea what to do though I'm sure you can edit a song title on a mac, right???

Can you please help me?

Thanks.

C

chas_m

In my folder where I have my music files I like to work with the "Title" of the songs. E.g. in iTunes the songs are often arranged by title.

I can't view or edit the title. It's just not visible anywhere. When clicking "show view options", "title" is not listed. I can't right click on the top bar (with "name", "date modified" etc.) and choose "title". I have no idea what to do though I'm sure you can edit a song title on a mac, right???

Can you please help me?

Thanks.

Since you're coming to Mac from PC (and actually iTunes works almost exactly the same way in both) let me backtrack before I get to what I hope is the correct answer for you.

I'm probably wrong, but I can't shake the feeling that you are looking at your music files in the Finder and NOT inside iTunes (a typical PC approach). If that is the case, this is where you are going wrong. While you CAN edit music files directly in Finder, this is a dumb idea. Use iTunes.

So, if you are in iTunes, just ignore the above. In iTunes, the title of the song is found under the heading "Name." You can sort songs by any of the column headings (Artist, Time, etc) by simply clicking on those column headings. Clicking on the heading a second time will re-sort in reverse order.

To edit a song name (which is NOT the same thing as the song's filename -- again, DO NOT try to manage your music in the Finder! The filename is UTTERLY UNIMPORTANT. What's important is the song name in iTunes, which is handled by a tag, NOT the filename.), simply select the song and choose File -> Get Info (in iTunes) or press command-i. This brings up a window that lets you edit EVERY aspect of the song's information, add lyrics and artwork and more.

It sometimes take PC users a while to get used to the idea of not having to manually "manage" the files, but trust me -- you don't have to manually manage the files. Customization is fine, but do it within the program (iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto etc) not in Finder.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...
I'm probably wrong, but I can't shake the feeling that you are looking at your music files in the Finder and NOT inside iTunes (a typical PC approach). If that is the case, this is where you are going wrong. While you CAN edit music files directly in Finder, this is a dumb idea. Use iTunes.

Well let me just say that in PC you can do that in iTunes AND change the title in the folder. In my opinion having both options beats being restricted to fewer alternatives. I get your point and I know I can change the "name" in iTunes. Though this doesn't change the "title" on the file (after changing the name in iTunes you can right click the file in finder and title is not showing/changed). If I were to take my music files over to a PC I'd have to do it all over again. Same if using a MP3-player which isn't and iPod. So while it to you may seem easier to simply change the name in iTunes, to me that is only a substitute solution and neither the best solution if you want to change info in the file, in this case the title, so it's ready fro any MP3 player or PC. I don't only use MAC. I use PC too you know. (second computer, work, friends, family etc etc.). I hate doing things twice which is what you are telling me to do (if using the files on other computers).

So basically what you're saying is that there is no way I can change the song "title" on the file it self, but only the tag in iTunes? Anyway, this is peanuts. I can live with this disappointment. My next question in new post:

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I miss the function to CUT a file from one folder to another. For example when I download a pdf and it lands in the download folder, if I want to move this file I (apparently) have to copy the file, paste it where I want it, then go back to the downloads folder and delete/trash it. Is there seriously no way for me to cut the file instead of copying it?

Reaction score
F
or example when I download a pdf and it lands in the download folder, if I want to move this file I (apparently) have to copy the file

You can just drag it to where you want the file.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
F

You can just drag it to where you want the file.

Ok so MAC is built up in the way that for moving files you need to open two windows side by side and then draging the files over? The is no way to cut the file and "take it with you" when browsing the computer?

Reaction score
If you download a PDF file and it's in the download file, you can just open the download file and drag it to documents or wherever, it shows on the left side. I think Mac has it this way so if you forget to paste, the file isn't lost. You don't have to open 2 windows side by side, just drag and drop it.

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the Mac world! I moved a couple of years ago, find most folks here pretty good. Some are die-hard Maccies who can't help but take shots at Windows and Windows users, but most here are pretty good.

Now, to your questions. You CAN change the file names in OSX, it is just that normally you don't need (or want) to do that. However, if you want to, find the file you want to rename. Right click on the name and then click on "Get Info." A window will open and you will be able to change the filename there in the box labeled "Name & Extension". However, be careful about the extension, as if you accidentally get it wrong, iTunes won't be able to find or use it. I also don't know what iTunes will do when it finds the "new" track. I suspect it will add that new track to the iTunes list, but when it tries to play the old track it won't find the file it expects because you renamed it. That's why most folks just let iTunes do what iTunes does and don't mess with filenames directly. OSX isn't Windows, and you don't really NEED to mess with filenames most of the time, unlike you do in Windows.

To move a file from one locale to another, the easiest way is drag/drop, but if you don't want to open two windows, you can also drag to the sidebar in Finder, hover over the drive or folder to which you want to go, wait for it to open, then hover again over the folder name you want to put it in, repeat until you are hovering over the final destination folder and then drop on the folder name. It will move to that folder. I find that hovering while still holding down the mouse button more difficult to do than to open another window in Finder, but it's a personal choice. Also, there are keyboard combinations to allow the same thing, but I don't know and don't use them as much, so perhaps someone else can chime in here.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now, to your questions. You CAN change the file names in OSX, it is just that normally you don't need (or want) to do that. However, if you want to, find the file you want to rename. Right click on the name and then click on "Get Info." A window will open and you will be able to change the filename there in the box labeled "Name & Extension". However, be careful about the extension, as if you accidentally get it wrong, iTunes won't be able to find or use it. I also don't know what iTunes will do when it finds the "new" track. I suspect it will add that new track to the iTunes list, but when it tries to play the old track it won't find the file it expects because you renamed it. That's why most folks just let iTunes do what iTunes does and don't mess with filenames directly. OSX isn't Windows, and you don't really NEED to mess with filenames most of the time, unlike you do in Windows.

You don't seem to understand I want to change the "title" of a song, not the file name (or the tag in iTunes which Chas_m talked about). What you are explaining is not changing the "title" of the song. tried it. Seems it's changing the file name. I know how to change a file name and that's not what I need.

To me it seems it is no way you can change the title of a song inside a file on a mac. If anyone know how to change the TITLE of a song on the saved file on a mac, please let me know.

To move a file from one locale to another, the easiest way is drag/drop, but if you don't want to open two windows, you can also drag to the sidebar in Finder, hover over the drive or folder to which you want to go, wait for it to open, then hover again over the folder name you want to put it in, repeat until you are hovering over the final destination folder and then drop on the folder name. It will move to that folder. I find that hovering while still holding down the mouse button more difficult to do than to open another window in Finder, but it's a personal choice. Also, there are keyboard combinations to allow the same thing, but I don't know and don't use them as much, so perhaps someone else can chime in here.

I understand the drag and drop is an option. The hovering is also one way but like you say, not the best way. A bit difficult. I just want to cut the file. MAC won't allow you to cut? :Confused:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok so MAC is...

FYI...you can stop using the abbreviation "MAC". The abbreviation for Macintosh computers is "Mac" not "MAC". All capitals denotes an acronym. You wouldn't spell the computer name as "MACintosh"...it's Macintosh.

I wasn't going to mention anything after your first post...but you've used MAC 4 times now.;)

"PC" stands for "personal computer"..."MAC" doesn't stand for anything "Macintosh computer" related.

No real harm done. Just wanted to mention it so you didn't keep committing the same "Faux Pas" over & over.:)

Enjoy that Mac,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes people here get a little grumpy if you mix up mac, Mac and MAC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Cutting and pasting is one of those things that OS X differently from Windows. You cannot simply cut and past files the same way. If you hold Command while dragging a file to a new location it will be moved. But you still need two Finder windows open.

There are third party tools that add that ability to cut files. It's called Move Addict. I use it occasionally.

As for editing file names independent of the tagged information iTunes uses to name songs, go into iTunes Preferences and under the Advanced Tab, deselect the box that says "Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized". However, keep in mind that this could put your music files all over the place, songs split into different albums, compilation songs in their own album folders. It's going to base things on a literal interpretation of the tags. So if the tags in your files are inconsistent, so will your file structure. Once this happens, you can't undo it. So only do it if you're sure your tags are very very accurate.

Not sure why you'd need to edit the file names to put them on another mp3 player. Don't other players also use the tag info, not the file name, to organize things too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm with you magnitude. I've been using OS X for three years snow and love it, and even though I've gotten used to spring loaded folders, (have you activated this feature in Finders preferences? You should if you have not) there's no replacement for cut and paste. Apparently, apple thinks its users are either retarded or have the attention span of a flea since they don't trust them enough with cut/paste.

A warning about dragging and dropping or using spring loaded folders: depending upon where you're dragging and dropping to, you will either move or copy. To be sure that you're always moving, simply hold down the command key when dragging. You won't need two windows open if you get good at dragging (while holding command) onto a spring loaded folder. So basically, holding command while dragging to another folder is their version of cut/paste. And yeah, it's certainly more convoluted and annoying than cmd+x >cmd+v.

D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Cutting and pasting is one of those things that OS X differently from Windows. You cannot simply cut and past files the same way. If you hold Command while dragging a file to a new location it will be moved. But you still need two Finder windows open.

Just want to correct this tiny bit of misinformation. If you use spring loaded folders, it is not necessary.

I've also used move addict, but it's limited from what I remember and I also resent having to use it. I resent having to use any third party app which should be redundant and only serves to waste more resources. For example, things like Pathfinder. Now I've got two file managers running? Were Finder not so tightly integrated into the OS, that might be ok, bit this is not the case.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FYI...you can stop using the abbreviation "MAC". The abbreviation for Macintosh computers is "Mac" not "MAC". All capitals denotes an acronym. You wouldn't spell the computer name as "MACintosh"...it's Macintosh.

I wasn't going to mention anything after your first post...but you've used MAC 4 times now.;)

"PC" stands for "personal computer"..."MAC" doesn't stand for anything "Macintosh computer" related.

No real harm done. Just wanted to mention it so you didn't keep committing the same "Faux Pas" over & over.:)

Enjoy that Mac,

- Nick

Well thankfully there is no harm done. That would have been devastating to me.....

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

There are third party tools that add that ability to cut files. It's called Move Addict. I use it occasionally.

As for editing file names independent of the tagged information iTunes uses to name songs, go into iTunes Preferences and under the Advanced Tab, deselect the box that says "Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized". However, keep in mind that this could put your music files all over the place, songs split into different albums, compilation songs in their own album folders. It's going to base things on a literal interpretation of the tags. So if the tags in your files are inconsistent, so will your file structure. Once this happens, you can't undo it. So only do it if you're sure your tags are very very accurate.

Not sure why you'd need to edit the file names to put them on another mp3 player. Don't other players also use the tag info, not the file name, to organize things too?

Thanks for the tip. I'll look up that tool you mentioned. No not all players use tag info. But main thing was using the same files on a PC and then I'd have to change the title name twice. Anyway. I'm past that issue. I'll figure it out. Thanks for your help.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm with you magnitude. I've been using OS X for three years snow and love it, and even though I've gotten used to spring loaded folders, (have you activated this feature in Finders preferences? You should if you have not) there's no replacement for cut and paste. Apparently, apple thinks its users are either retarded or have the attention span of a flea since they don't trust them enough with cut/paste.

A warning about dragging and dropping or using spring loaded folders: depending upon where you're dragging and dropping to, you will either move or copy. To be sure that you're always moving, simply hold down the command key when dragging. You won't need two windows open if you get good at dragging (while holding command) onto a spring loaded folder. So basically, holding command while dragging to another folder is their version of cut/paste. And yeah, it's certainly more convoluted and annoying than cmd+x >cmd+v.

D.

Hehehe....funny reply! And thank you for that crystal clear reply. That's what I'm looking for. Or NOT looking for do be exact, because I can't believe there isn't a cut function. Man. That is so stupid I need a couple of days (and drinks) to get over that fact. Good thing nobody told me this before I purchased or I can guarantee my computer would be a HP instead. Many functions I LOVE on my new mac, plus the speed is awsome. But come on that is ridiculous. Ludicrous.....

I'll look in to the spring loaded folders. Perhaps that will be at some help. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
It sounds to me that you are still very much stuck in a Windows mindset. Yes, it would be nice to have a cut feature, but even though I had gotten used to it after years and years of using Windows, it's definitely not something that would ever make me go back to using Windows as my primary OS again. If you stop comparing the Windows way vs. the Mac way and just go with things the way they are, you do get used to it.

If you had started on a Mac and never known what cutting files was, you wouldn't find it such a ludicrous, egregious omission. You'd just think it was an amazing Windows feature. There are things I use more that Windows doesn't have, but I'm sure there are third party tools for those too.

Whichever platform you use, there will always be basic things you miss and workarounds to getting those functions back. To me, the lack of a registry, the little productivity tools (Expose, Spaces, keystroke dictionary definitions) and things like Time Machine, Automator and other neat applications more than make up for the one or two things that Windows does better. In fact, cutting is really the only thing I can think of that Windows does better.

Just gotta ask yourself what the tradeoffs are, whichever way you go. And to be honest, even though I have Move Addict and find it easy enough to use, I really don't use it that often. Dragging and Command-dragging items seems intuitive enough for me, since I kind of like to see where things are moving between anyway.

At any rate, have patience. If you are hung up on what OS X doesn't do, you'll never discover the dozens of other things that it does do better. It's always frustrating when switchers are ready to trade in their Macs after a few weeks because they're trying to make OS X work like Windows. They're never going to even realize that so many other cool things are there.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well thankfully there is no harm done. That would have been devastating to me.....

Just trying to help.:)

It's like nose-picking. If no one ever told you that picking your nose was a bad habit...then you would be doing it everywhere in public..and wondering why you were getting all sorts a dirty looks (and no girlfriends)!!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sounds to me that you are still very much stuck in a Windows mindset. Yes, it would be nice to have a cut feature, but even though I had gotten used to it after years and years of using Windows, it's definitely not something that would ever make me go back to using Windows as my primary OS again. If you stop comparing the Windows way vs. the Mac way and just go with things the way they are, you do get used to it.

I'm so tired of this stupid justification for why OS X doesn't utilize a more efficient manner of doing things in Finder. The only reason it doesn't work the same way is because Apple wants to have a patent on OS behaviors which share nothing in common with that of another OS for the "different" factor.. well, and the patents, of course. For how many years has this same stupid argument been held to the way you re-size windows in OS X, and now look what they're doing in Lion. Yeah, I'm saying it's contradictory and hypocritical.

Of course not having cut and paste is a compromise which most are happy to accept due to all the other wonderful features which makes OS X what it is vs what Windows is, but this is FAR FAR FAR from the point. Apple keeps dumbing things down as we're kind of seeing with iOS and Lion, and wants to make things as simple as possible for people, yet we still have arguments saying that cut and paste isn't a better method than holding down command to drag and drop? Nonsense. Utter nonsense.

Remember, it's not just Windows that does this... Linux does as well, and BSD, correct? And what's under the hood of OS X? Exactly. Enough of the apologist mentality already. I don't want OS X to be Windows... heaven forbid ! If I did, I um... would rather use Windows lol..

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.