16 years PC, now over to MAC: Help! :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...
I don't have a Magic Mouse but perhaps either of these references will get you pointed in the right direction.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3189530?start=0&tstart=0

Magic Mouse touch gestures on Mac OS X Lion? - Yahoo! Answers

Can I just say I FREAKING LOVE this forum. Thanks man. That first link was spot on! Finally I was able to turn of that swipe between full-screen apps which I was doing 500 times a day and of those 500 I did not want to do that 500 times. Man! :Angry-Tongue:

Anyway, finally I can go back and forward between pages in Chrome using two fingers. Thanks! :) :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome. Glad to help.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...
The currency exchange rate box in the dashboard has been corrupted for some reason. It is totally scrambled. Nothing can be read. How do I fix it? Tried to simply "X" it and then rechoose it as a dashboard item but that didn't help. Think I need to reinstall it or something. This is the dashboard app which is in apple OS when purchased.

Thanks.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just recently purchased a Samsung TV which has WiFi. I know I am suppose to be able to view content from my computer on my TV just by entering files on the computer. But I recon I need to share those files on my Mac. I knew how to do that on a PC but I have no idea on the Mac. Probably it is easiest to have all my shared content in one folder. Could anyone help me out?

Thanks.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*bumb*

Anyone? Still have a corrupted/unreadable exchange rate converter in dashboard + have no clue how to share my files on a network. Help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this in 10.7 Lion? Are you referring to the Unit Convert in Dashboard that comes installed in OSX?

And by network, network with other Macs or PC's? You want file sharing on a network with your Mac and PC's or other Macs?

I think people are confused by your question or maybe the wording. Not sure.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is this in 10.7 Lion? Are you referring to the Unit Convert in Dashboard that comes installed in OSX?

And by network, network with other Macs or PC's? You want file sharing on a network with your Mac and PC's or other Macs?

I think people are confused by your question or maybe the wording. Not sure.

Ok I'll try to explain better. For the dashboard first:

Yes I am running Lion. And yes I am talking about the Unit converter that comes with OSX. It was already corrupted in OSX before I installed Lion and I was hoping it would be fixed when I installed Lion. But it is still just scrambled. Can't read a single word/text on it. Hope you can help.

Regarding network file sharing:

I have the files on my Mac. I want to share them with a Samsung TV. I'm guessing the Samsung TV use some sort of PC OS but I have no idea. I think a simple explanation on how to put some files in a folder and share that folder on the network would be at much help. If that's the way to do it on Mac? I also would like to access these files with my iPad. And I also would prefer it if my girlfriends PC was able to access these files. But the network is also shared with someone which rents an apartment in my house so I would like to only give access to my computers/ipads and not his, if this is possible.

Hope this clarifies what I want? :)

C

chas_m

Yes I am running Lion. And yes I am talking about the Unit converter that comes with OSX. It was already corrupted in OSX before I installed Lion and I was hoping it would be fixed when I installed Lion. But it is still just scrambled. Can't read a single word/text on it. Hope you can help.

You have likely removed the font it relies on, so it has fallen back to a non-standard font. Have you run any "localizing" programs such as Monolingual? Have you run any "Lion tweak" programs such as (shudder) MacKeeper or MacCleanse or Tinkertool?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have likely removed the font it relies on, so it has fallen back to a non-standard font. Have you run any "localizing" programs such as Monolingual? Have you run any "Lion tweak" programs such as (shudder) MacKeeper or MacCleanse or Tinkertool?

No to all. I have not run any of those or other programs of such kind.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've managed to fix the currency converter in the dashboard.

But I would love if someone could tell me how I share a file/folder on the network. Does anybody on this forum know how I can share a folder/file on my local wlan network?

Reaction score
Give this a look most use someones DLNA app for files on Blue-Ray players and TV's.
A Free DLNA Media Server For Mac, Windows, and Linux
Am I reading this right, that they charge a monthly fee for using software that they have no overhead for? I mean I'm used to "we provide a service to you, we charge a monthly for supporting the backend/bandwidth" but this wants a monthly fee without doing any of that.

LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Am I reading this right, that they charge a monthly fee for using software that they have no overhead for? I mean I'm used to "we provide a service to you, we charge a monthly for supporting the backend/bandwidth" but this wants a monthly fee without doing any of that.

LOL.

I just used this as an example there plenty more out there and the ones that seem to work best all charge also there was a one time charge on that one. For me its easy I sling all mine around on Apple gear Mac,iPad,iPhone and Apple TV using iTunes.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Google Chrome Favorites

Where is my favorites from Chrome on my Mac?

All the hints online that I can find are the following:

Macintosh HD/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Bookmarks

But that doesn't apply to my Mac for some reason. I can find the application Support folder, but that is found here:

Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support

But there is no folder called Goolgle there. There is no folder called library in the "username" folder either.

Any suggestions?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Where is my favorites from Chrome on my Mac?

All the hints online that I can find are the following:

Macintosh HD/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Bookmarks

But that doesn't apply to my Mac for some reason. I can find the application Support folder, but that is found here:

Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support

But there is no folder called Goolgle there. There is no folder called library in the "username" folder either.

Any suggestions?

The Library folder on 10.7 (Lion) is now hidden by default. That's probably what's holding you up.

Click the Finder icon in your Dock, then hold the Option key down and click the "Go" menu. You should now see the Library folder. From there, follow the rest of the path that you mentioned above.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks man! Found it. So the bookmarks are not listed as htm files like I am used to on PC? There is only two files here called "bookmarks" and "bookmarks.bak". That's it? That will not help if I want to add those in a different browser in the future, though getting a back up for Chrome was my intention to begin with.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks man! Found it. So the bookmarks are not listed as htm files like I am used to on PC? There is only two files here called "bookmarks" and "bookmarks.bak". That's it? That will not help if I want to add those in a different browser in the future, though getting a back up for Chrome was my intention to begin with.

I'm not really sure to be honest. I typically just use the browser's bookmark export/import features and don't worry about the file/folder structure.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not really sure to be honest. I typically just use the browser's bookmark export/import features and don't worry about the file/folder structure.

Well doing that you just get a bunch of links in a html file. I like the "good old fashion way" from my explorer days where each bookmark is a single file you can copy and past to your desired destination. I guess you can't do it like that with Chrome :Confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.