Just got new 2011 macbook pro 13", got a few questions!

Reaction score
hi, i just joined this forum as i have just bought the new 2011 13" macbook pro on the day of it was released and have a few questions that im hoping the helpful users of this forum will be able to answer!

firstly i am very interested in getting a cinema display to hook the mac upto but was wondering what cables would be required? i have been looking around on the internet and the words mini displayport pop up alot. from what i gather this is a socket on the macs but when i googled it to see what they look like they look like the new thunderbolt sockets, and i could not find a mini displayport on my mac.

hope you can help.
regards lala0

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
hi, i just joined this forum as i have just bought the new 2011 13" macbook pro on the day of it was released and have a few questions that im hoping the helpful users of this forum will be able to answer!

firstly i am very interested in getting a cinema display to hook the mac upto but was wondering what cables would be required? i have been looking around on the internet and the words mini displayport pop up alot. from what i gather this is a socket on the macs but when i googled it to see what they look like they look like the new thunderbolt sockets, and i could not find a mini displayport on my mac.

hope you can help.
regards lala0

One of the first places you can always go for info is Apple.com. Here's Apple's web page regarding the new 2011 MacBook Pro's:

MacBook Pro - Buy MacBook Pro notebook computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

...if you go down the page a little...on the right hand side you will see 4 tabs labeled "Overview, Tech Specs, Compare, Gallery". Click on the "Tech Specs" tab...and this lists all your MacBook Pros ports. Your MacBook Pro has the new "Thunderbolt" port that is backwards compatible with the Mini-Display Port.

If you're thinking of getting the Apple 27" Cinema Display...you don't need any sort of video adapter...because the video cable on this Apple Display is a "mini-display port" cable. If you're thinking of getting a "non-Apple" external display...then you will need a mini-display port adapter of some sort...and which one will depend on the display...and what cables/ports it has.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Gotta spread some more love before I can give you more good rep Nick, but love the straight forward informative info you gave the OP :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gotta spread some more love before I can give you more good rep Nick, but love the straight forward informative info you gave the OP :)

Thanks 6string!:) I'm really glad you posted in this thread...since I then reread my post...and found that I had a spelling error, a formatting error, and a grammar error...[size=+1]WOW[/size]...(all of which I corrected).;)

Thanks again (spread the love),;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Thanks 6string!:) I'm really glad you posted in this thread...since I then reread my post...and found that I had a spelling error & a formatting error (both of which I corrected).;)

Thanks again (spread the love),;)

- Nick

Sheesh, you're as bad as me.... one of the biggest editing reasons of mine is typos :)
Thought I was spreading the love, but it appears that I'm not doing it enough!
Gone are my hippy days I guess :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sheesh, you're as bad as me.... one of the biggest editing reasons of mine is typos :)
Thought I was spreading the love, but it appears that I'm not doing it enough!
Gone are my hippy days I guess :p

I guess we're both perfectionists to some degree. I like to think that my posts should be readable & understandable whether someone reads it 2 minutes or 2 years from now.

As far as the "love". Maybe your personal standards have gotten stricter over time...and so to get some "love" from "6string"...you really have to impress!!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
L
Reaction score
thanks for the quick replies, i was looking to get an old 23" cinema display of ebay, what do you mean by the thunderbolt port backwards compatible with mini display port?
thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the quick replies, i was looking to get an old 23" cinema display of ebay, what do you mean by the thunderbolt port backwards compatible with mini display port?
thanks

You need to be more specific as to what exact "old 23" Cinema Display" you're talking about. If it's a REALLY old model...forget about it...just won't work...or won't be worth the effort or cost.

Regarding "what do you mean by the thunderbolt port backwards compatible with mini display port?"...when it comes to external monitor & video adapter needs...just think of your MacBook Pros "Thunderbolt" port as being the same as a "mini-display" port.

If you go to the Apple online store...you're NOT (as of yet) going to find any video adapters labeled a "Thunderbolt video adapter"...you will only find "mini-display port" video adapters for your MacBook Pro (which is exactly what you would need if you're going to get an external monitor with a DVI, HDMI, VGA, etc. port).

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi thanks for clearing the thunderbolt thing up,
here is a link to the kind of cinema display i was thinking of getting, take a look!

its not to old so i think it will work, do you agree?
thanks!

Hey...you said 23" monitor earlier? ;)

Yes that 20" Apple Cinema Display will work. You will need a "mini-display port to DVI" video adapter...like this one:

Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

You can get this video adapter for $29 from Apple if you want...here's a number of places you can get it cheaper ($6.46 to $21.99):

Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter | Mini DisplayPort to HDMI / DVI / VGA Adapters

Mini DisplayPort to DVI Male / Female Adapter

Mini DisplayPort Male to DVI Female Adapter (1080p) - Cables & Adapters

Mini DisplayPort DVI - Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter Converter | StarTech.com

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Excellent suggestion of Monoprice, I buy all my cords from them. I would never buy a cord from Apple unless I was desperate because they are often 3 times more expensive.
I have the aluminum 23" cinema display (And I owned the 20" as well - they are both amazing.) Keep in mind that those cinema display have the old school firewire ports on the back. Which isn't a big deal...

Because the MBP has a firewire 800 port you will need an adapter like this one if you want to make use of the two firewire 400 ports on the back of the 20" Cinema Display:

Amazon.com: elago FireWire 400 to 800 Adapter for Mac: Electronics

And if you want to connect from the back of the cinema display to firewire 800 peripherals you will need this (Although you lose the advantage of 800, but saves you having to disconnect/reconnect 1 more cord when you want to roam with the laptop):
For only $3.75 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 9 PIN/ 6PIN BILINGUAL FireWire 800 - FireWire 400 Cable, 6FT, Black | 9 - 6 pin IEEE-1394B Firewire Cables

Also if you order cables, get a display to HDMI cord so you can watch videos on your TV (if of course your tv takes HDMI.) If you do hook your laptop up to your TV, be sure to set Sound system preferences to run through your HDMI cord - then you don't need a separate audio cord.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.