Turning off when unplugged

Reaction score
My macbook turns off whenever I unplug it. This first started happening about two weeks ago. I have reset the SMC but not the PRAM because i'm not sure if it is related to this problem. Also, the battery is fully charged and all the lights turn on. After it turns off, I cannot turn it back on without putting the power cord back on.

Here is some info about my battery:
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 4825
Fully charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 4826
Health Information:
Cycle count: 477
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 12545

What I find interesting is that it doesn't turn off EVERY time I unplug it. It was fine for about a week from when it first started till now. I was on my mac today with it unplugged and about 75% battery remaining and it just turned off. I am thinking that the battery is dead because it has gone through 477. Any thoughts?
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's hard to say, but your battery is well past what Apple considers the normal life cycle to be. (300) Some folks have been able to get good performance from their battery with even as much as 500 cycles on it, but that's not the norm.

You could certainly try a new battery, but if you do, purchase a good one as most of the inexpensive replacement batteries are "knock offs". And they're a waste of money.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok great thanks. I think I am going to take it to the store just to make sure because I don't want to spend that much for a battery and have it not be the problem... Even though it probably is. Thanks for the input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It's hard to say, but your battery is well past what Apple considers the normal life cycle to be. (300) Some folks have been able to get good performance from their battery with even as much as 500 cycles on it, but that's not the norm.

Without knowing what type of MacBook he has, we can't know what kind of battery he has or what its max cycle count is. Unibody MacBook batteries are rated at up to 1000 cycles.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good point. I had forgotten about the newer batteries and their performance ratings. Of course those batteries are supposedly not user replaceable anyway.

OP
B
Reaction score
I have the macbook. The white one from 09 I think. So I am able to remove it myself.

OP
B
Reaction score
Now I am on it without the cord in. It's weird. Could it be something on the inside of my mac and not just the battery?

OP
B
Reaction score
My macbook turns off whenever I unplug it. This first started happening about two weeks ago. I have reset the SMC but not the PRAM because i'm not sure if it is related to this problem. Also, the battery is fully charged and all the lights turn on. After it turns off, I cannot turn it back on without putting the power cord back on.

Here is some info about my battery:
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 4825
Fully charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 4826
Health Information:
Cycle count: 477
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 12545

What I find interesting is that it doesn't turn off EVERY time I unplug it. It was fine for about a week from when it first started till now. I was on my mac today with it unplugged and about 75% battery remaining and it just turned off. I am thinking that the battery is dead because it has gone through 477. Any thoughts?
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do not post duplicate threads! Always post back to the same thread. You can bump your thread to the top again by replying to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.