No response - help!

Reaction score
I have a two-month old MacBook Pro and it has worked perfectly until today. I just left it open for 15 minutes and, when I returned, it would not restore. I tried hitting various keys, putting into sleep mode and, with no response, I tried to power up again. Eventually, it came on and asked did I really want to close. I restarted and it is now working. Is there a good reason for this and what should I do if it happens again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Check your sleep settings in system preferences. I'll wager it's something there that needs adjusting.
Sometimes the drive just gets a bit laggy, but it shouldn't happen.

OP
S
Reaction score
Next problem - my Mac has worked well since yesterday - until now. I was in a local bar on WiFi when I tried to open a previous download. Everything froze, then started again, then froze again. I waited a long time to let it sort out, but eventually had to leave. I could not shut down, even force quit. I closed the lid, brought it back home, plugged in to mains supply, but nothing. It will not respond at all. What can I do and what could e wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ouch. Ok, there are many things you could do to try and fix this, but, given it's new, take it back to the store and get them to deal with it. It's still in Applecare warranty.

OP
S
Reaction score
I wish it was that easy - I bought it in the UK and I am now in Greece. I guess there may be a service agent in Corfu Town, but I have no transport. Is there anything I can try until I return to the UK in early April?

I have used the Mac for only one month seriously and was just working my way through sorting out everything I had done in that time - including backing up to an external hard drive. There is a lot on the computer that has not yet been saved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Call Apple and ask their advice first, because you will be out of the 3 month Applecare period by April, and that may scupper any chance of them replacing it if it's the logic board or HD going bad, which it seems like it could be to be honest.
As you say, there must be a service centre there.
Call and ask and then report back.
If you don't want to, I assume you have your install disc. Boot to disk utility and run the disk repair to see if it throws anything up.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Call Apple and ask their advice first, because you will be out of the 3 month Applecare period by April, and that may scupper any chance of them replacing it if it's the logic board or HD going bad, which it seems like it could be to be honest.
If you don't want to, I assume you have your install disc. Boot to disk utility and run the disk repair to see if it throws anything up.
+1 on that advice!

If for no other reason than it would be a good idea to get a case number in the system on your problem. That should go a long way toward settling any potential questions on receiving support from AppleCare.

OP
S
Reaction score

I'm new to this and I am glad of your advice Kevriano. I do have all the discs that came with the computer - but how do I boot to disk utility if it won't start up?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't want to interfere in Kevriano helping you out, but I think when you boot from the OS disk you reach a point where the option comes up to access Disk Utilities (been a while since I did this).

EDIT: I went back and re-read your post. Obviously, you can't do this if it is frozen. Have you tried doing a hard shutdown (holding the power button down to force a reset)? If that doesn't work it seems to me getting service on it either mail in or at the Apple store is your only choice.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Razormac - a friend who has a one year-old mac told me that she has had to do this 4 or 5 times - holding down the power button for over one minute each time. I tried for 30 secs and was interrupted - tried again later and it restarted in 10/15 seconds. Quickly backed up 1000 photos etc and closed down. It has restarted today - what are your recommendations now? Certainly I will get a complaint lodged with Apple, but what else?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Razormac - a friend who has a one year-old mac told me that she has had to do this 4 or 5 times - holding down the power button for over one minute each time. I tried for 30 secs and was interrupted - tried again later and it restarted in 10/15 seconds. Quickly backed up 1000 photos etc and closed down. It has restarted today - what are your recommendations now? Certainly I will get a complaint lodged with Apple, but what else?

Glad you got your stuff backed up.
Personally (and I am not the expert here) I would call Apple and let them walk me through some basic trouble shooting steps. That way you get the case registered and they may be able to pinpoint with you what is going on.

In addition, Kevriano or one of the other more tech savy members here can probably help you out in using some of the software tools available for diagnosing hardware problems (Onyx is one of them).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's up and running, definitely do the disk utility proceedure I mentioned, as this will highlight any possible OS issues that could be causing it.
Any further ideas will depend on the results of that really.

OP
S
Reaction score
I may be a website administrator, but I'm a real novice, Kevriano. Talk me through the disk utility procedure please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I may be a website administrator, but I'm a real novice, Kevriano. Talk me through the disk utility procedure please.

Sure, no worries.

Get you install disc and insert it.
Restart the Mac while holding down the "C" key. Keep it held down until the Mac restarts and gives you a blue screen.
Wait for the installer to load. When it has loaded, go to the file menu and select Disk Utility (do not click continue on the installer btw)
Once loaded you will see a First Aid panel, where you can verify and repair permissions, and verify and repair the HD.
Select your main HD and click the verify tab, let it run through and see if it comes back with errors. If so, click repair. You should also verify and repair permissions too.
When it's done you can quit the installer and restart.
And that's it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Kevriano - that seems to be straightforward apart from one thing - the 'C' key. Is that literally the key marked 'C', or 'C' for C?????. Told you I was green!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, literally the "c" key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It's actually the C key.

Hardly the "C" key.
Certainly not the C "key".
(Have a look at Wikipedia on the usage of "".) ;)

Oops! bitten by the first new post on page two again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you from the pedantic use of punctuation society. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Why? your'e welcome:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.