Help please with optimal configuration of MBP

Reaction score
Hi, I am going to buy my first Mac (most people recommendation) and I am confused about what to get in as the budget is not unlimited.
Sorry for very lay language, I am very simple person (from computer point of view)

I will use it for very common things as browsing, some music, movies, would like to learn a bit about photo related stuff, doing some presentation, etc. Currently not gaming, but have children who might want that later. I plan to have MBP for at least 4-5 years.
I always buy stuff which survive some time rather than tle lowest end but obviously do not want to spend for no reason.
I understand that I can add RAM later, so probably 4GB would be enough for now.
How about the processor- shal I go for dual i5/i7 with higher speed or slower quads i5/i7?
Is better to save some money on processor and buy SSD (I do not need probably huge hard disk)- will it be just more durable, or will it increase speed or anything else?
And the screen- should I go for HD and antiglare? I have no idea how different it is from the normal one, currently have normal PC laptop 4 years old and I am quite happy. But as I said, I do not want struggle in future.
If you read up to here, many thanks and I will really appreciate advice. Richard

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Which Macs are you considering? That may help a little. Your requirements, as listed, don't appear to be terribly taxing - so it really depends on what you're wanting to spend.

I don't see that there's any great reason for you to shell out $$ for an SSD at all.

Having just reskimmed - I see you mentioned MBP - so I'll assume that's what you're looking at. Based on your stated requirements - you could get a screaming machine that will suit you just fine for year - from the refurb store. You don't need to pay top $$ for the brand new model and you can get a decked out 15" MBP at a steal there these days.

The screen seems to be a personal choice around here - myself - I definitely prefer the anti-glare - but recommend you visit a store to try both out.

Again - based on the light general requirements you listed - the decision really comes down to what you want to spend...IMO.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks Brian.
As I said, I do not want to change laptop in 1 year, I want it to survive succesfully for 4-5 years as my previous laptop.
I have money to spend, but do not want to pay unnecessary.
If SSD is not advantage for me- than to go rather for faster dual core i5/i7 or slower quads?
I mean 2,0Ghz quad or 2,5Ghz dual core? Or are these questions just irrelevant for the use I am going to need?
Will 5400 hard disk be significantly different than 7200 for me?
Many thanks. Richard

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I think any of the MBPs will suffice for you. These "slower quads" are more powerful laptops than the higher clocked dual core laptops, New MacBook Pros get GeekBenched. Outrunning last year’s Mac Pros | 9 to 5 Mac New MacBook Pros get GeekBenched. Outrunning last year’s Mac Pros | Apple Intelligence (Link borrowed from Randy Singer)
but yes, as you indicated, I do think that based on your described usage - you'll be fine with either.

You can look up the r/w differences between the 5400 and 7200 - but for me personally, both MBPs I ordered I spec'd out with the 7200 500GB drive. I prefer the faster disk access.

Reaction score
Well if you aren't using applications that can utilize all of the cores, then the Dual core may be the most cost effective. I would get the 13" with an i7 and 8GB of RAM which may be more beneficial then having four cores if you are just doing simpler applications.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for advice, guys,that really helps

I know it must be terribly boring explaining this to someone who does not know a thing about computers.
I have got such impression (even after checking that geekbench link) I can really buy almost anything and all depends only how much I would like to spend.
I will check the screen which would suit better, you advised not to waste on SSD and go for anything between dual core i7 (in 13 inch) or any quad on anything else and consider rather 8GB RAM and faster hard disk.O:)
I will have a look and get one, I look forward and thanks one more. Richard:D

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know it must be terribly boring explaining this to someone who does not know a thing about computers.

I will have a look and get one, I look forward and thanks one more. Richard:D

No worries - it's all relative. Most of us come here seeking answers with the intent to learn. If you do go for one of the "older" models - don't forget to check the refurb store as there are some really great deals to be had there.

MacBook Pro - Apple Store (U.S.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.