• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Reveals "Places" – A Social Networking Related Trademark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Yeah um... No thanks ?
Places is primarily about online social networking services related to a social networking site and will assist in locating people using GPS on Apple's mobile devices

Sorry but, I just don't get anybody whom is willing to disclose their location to the general public with these idiotic apps such as 4Squared or the Google Map extension whatever it's called (I forget) or any other means of doing so on Facebook or any other social networking thing on a mobile device.

"Hey everybody, I'm not at home so please feel free to invade my house, steal my stuff or perhaps take advantage of my wife and kids... YEAH ! "

With the number of creeps out there whom prey on people using things like this to their advantage, I'm surprised people aren't more paranoid about GPS based apps. And quite frankly, I really don't want anyone knowing where I am, unless it's my boss, wife or very immediate family who need to know.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
How would a location service replace Ping? They're two fundamentally different things.

The article mentions "Places" being a social networking site in which users locate other users via location services. As far as anybody is concerned, this is not a location services for the user itself, but a discovery of other users location. If Apple pushes Ping into this and it becomes one social networking service instead of two, it might allow Ping to take off. Right now, as I see it, Ping is rather redundant. Nobody uses it. Even I stopped using it.

If you ask me, Ping, GameCenter and this new "Places" oughta become one thing provided by Apple, instead of three things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.