Superdrive failure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 1TB HD | ATI Radeon 4670 256MB | iPhone (1st gen)
Well my 27" iMac's (I believe it's an 09 make) superdrive has completely give up the ghost and I rarely even use the thing save for occasional music CD burns. It stopped burning and just the other day wouldn't even read anymore. Just makes a whining noise. My question is since I'll have to replace it, what are some decent sites y'all know of that sell internal replacement SDs? I've tried my darnedest to find the exact one I have, and normally I'm one heck of a Googler, just to no avail this time.

Here's the model number or ... what I think is the model number and yet I still can't seem to come up with anything. HL-DT-ST DVDRW GA11N

So yeah any site help is appreciated :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm not sure if you're interested...or how much you look forward to replacing your iMac's internal super drive. But if replacing it yourself has you concerned...have you considered an external superdrive?

It may not be as fast (because of being USB)...but it is an option to a broken internal drive.

Just a thought in case you might be interested. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

OWC Value Line USB2.0/1.1 22X Super-MultiD... (VLU2SD22XLS) at OWC

HTH,

- Nick

OP
clonehappy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 1TB HD | ATI Radeon 4670 256MB | iPhone (1st gen)
Well I dont have any issue with replacing the drive ... since my hubby is the tech guy he has replaced things in his own iMac with no problems at all. So I know we can do it, its just actually finding the replacement drive.

I have thought about an external I just wanted to exhaust the internal replacing idea first :) Though if my hon doesn't help me soon I'll just HAVE to get an external anyway cause I have just got to make a new music cd for my car soon I'm goin bonkers!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well I dont have any issue with replacing the drive ... since my hubby is the tech guy he has replaced things in his own iMac with no problems at all. So I know we can do it, its just actually finding the replacement drive.

Ok...no problem. Just thought I would throw that idea at you just in case.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.