what should I charge?

Reaction score
hello,

I want to buy the new macbook pro 15" 2.2 ghz i7.

I must sell my computer first though in order to have enough money.

my computer is the Macbook pro 15" 2.66ghz intel core i7. 4gb 1067 MHz DDR3 that i bought in december 2010. I have the original receipt and I also bought the 4 year warranty plan. The computer has Microsoft office, final cut express, and iwork on it. I have all the original packaging and restore discs.

IM GOING TO BE PUTTING IT UP ON EBAY AND KIJIJI. HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK I SHOULD CHARGE??

thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
hello,

I want to buy the new macbook pro 15" 2.2 ghz i7.

I must sell my computer first though in order to have enough money.

Not an uncommon situation...I'm sure many other people are in the "same boat". With this said...realize that there's going to be a lot of competition...with lots of folks trying to sell off their older Mac laptops to get a new one.

As far as pricing...the best you can do is visit:

Mac2Sell

...for a "ballpark" price...and check e-Bay to see how much your exact configuration is selling for there.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
well kanye west, if that is your real name ;)

why are you upgrading? your computer is still top notch anyway!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
I'd also strongly recommend checking out your local craigslist postings, assuming that the service is offered in your area.

OP
K
Reaction score
yes I have been checking out the local craigslist postings.. I am from the toronto area so there is quite a few different outlets at my disposal.

robduckyworth; im selling it because i feel like the thunderbolt is the future and the longer i wait the less my macbook pro will be worth. maybe apples marketing has got to me but i feel like i need it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I usually advise checking Craig's List (CL) as well (for good deals on buying a used computer)...but the problem with CL is you only see the buyer's asking price's...but what you don't know is the final selling price (which can be a MUCH more important number).

We've had lots of threads here about inflated prices on CL...so there can certainly be a big difference between a CL asking price & selling price.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I usually advise checking Craig's List (CL) as well (for good deals on buying a used computer)...but the problem with CL is you only see the buyer's asking price's...but what you don't know is the final selling price (which can be a MUCH more important number).

We've had lots of threads here about inflated prices on CL...so there can certainly be a big difference between a CL asking price & selling price.

- Nick
I think it's rather safe to assume that people get within $150 of their asking price, or at least that's been my experience with selling 3 computers for family members. Not once did I get any less than that for what I was asking... :Smirk:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it's rather safe to assume that people get within $150 of their asking price, or at least that's been my experience with selling 3 computers for family members. Not once did I get any less than that for what I was asking... :Smirk:

Yeah...I can probably agree that most sellers get within $150 of their asking price. But here's where things can get a little bit unpredictable.

I happen to have purchased (within the last 6 months) 2 MacBooks (2008 vintage). One for $350 and one for $400. Because the asking prices for these 2 were on the lower side to start with...I was only able to get the seller to come down $100 on one of them...and $50 on the other.

But I also still see sellers in my area asking as much as $700-$800 for the same models...which is $350-$400 more than I paid for the two I purchased. So the sellers asking this much ($700-$800)...are probably factoring in a lot of "wiggle room" (or have no idea what they're actually worth)...and thus these computers may actually sell for around $500-$600.

My point is...with e-Bay you actually see what the final selling price is...with Craig's list you only see the asking price (which can be really inflated some times)...and thus a person can only guess what the items actually sold for (if they sold at all).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah...I can probably agree that most sellers get within $150 of their asking price. But here's where things can get a little bit unpredictable.

I happen to have purchased (within the last 6 months) 2 MacBooks (2008 vintage). One for $350 and one for $400. Because the asking prices for these 2 were on the lower side to start with...I was only able to get the seller to come down $100 on one of them...and $50 on the other.

But I also still see sellers in my area asking as much as $700-$800 for the same models...which is $350-$400 more than I paid for the two I purchased. So the sellers asking this much ($700-$800)...are probably factoring in a lot of "wiggle room" (or have no idea what they're actually worth)...and thus these computers may actually sell for around $500-$600.

My point is...with e-Bay you actually see what the final selling price is...with Craig's list you only see the asking price (which can be really inflated some times)...and thus a person can only guess what the items actually sold for (if they sold at all).

- Nick

Makes perfect sense. :) So it's probably a good idea to look at both, and depending on how you'll be selling (against other e-Bay sellers, or CL sellers) price accordingly!

edit: And I just realized you said you'll be selling via e-Bay, so Nick gave some good advice when it comes to looking at the competition there to gauge your price.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will use the Apple recycle program to have an idea and then try to sell it on CL or eBay
Apple - Computer Reuse and Recycling

The Apple "recycle program" is really not all that good (IMHO). In fact...it is not even operated by Apple...it's run by a 3rd party company. Enter your Mac computers spec's...and you will find that the price they will pay you is much lower than what you can get for the same computer on Craig's List or e-Bay.

For example...I went to the Apple recycling program website...and entered the info for a 2008 MacBook with a 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo cpu. It gave me a value of $347 dollars (which isn't terrible). But if you check Craig's List or e-Bay...this same computer (in most cases) sells for at least $500-$600.

The Apple Recycle program is certainly a lot easier/simpler than selling a computer on e-Bay or Craig's...but for the convenience...you get a lot less cash.

It also needs to be remembered...the Apple Recycle program folks need to resell these computers...so they can make a profit. Since remember, they are also a business...that's in business to make a profit...so they cannot possibly pay someone FULL market value for their used computers.

FYI...here's the website of the folks who are actually managing the business-end of the Apple Recycling program...they are called "PowerON":

http://poweron.com/

- Nick

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
has anyone actually seen any thunderbolt peripherals for sale?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.