Using an iMAC in a Windows Domain

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32GB WiFi ; MacBook w/ Snow Leopard ; iMAC 27" Intel
Hi All...

I was hoping for some help and guidance. I've been a network engineer for 15 years now. All of my experience is in the Microsoft arena. Lately, my organization has been adopting MAC / Apple products ( iPad, iPhones, etc. ) but we've now gone as far as to purchase our first MAC desktop system, an iMAC.

Having no formal training in administering an iMAC in a Windows AD Domain ( 2008 ) I've been scouring the internet ( Google ) looking for as much information as I can. So far, I've been able to integrate it into our AD Domain and have network users login and have access to their network home directories.

I am, however, suffering in a couple of areas and was hoping that I could get some real world advice on the following:

1) What is the best way for me to administer this computer remotely using my Windows 7 Pro workstation? Example: Remotely connecting to it for help desk and other needs. Currently I use Dameware NT Utilities to remotely connect and administer my PC based workstations. Is there a similar utility for iMAC's that will run on Windows 7?

2) Login scripts... How am I able to accomplish this on a MAC? My PC based workstations use a batch file to map network drives and other things needed at login.

3) What is the best way for me to be able to control the iMAC through Group Policies? Or maybe I should be asking if this is even possible?

I appreciate in advance for any help your able to give!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.