New iBook today!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Well... I've always used Windows and was never satisfied. Always slow. Always limited in someways. But I recently took a movie production class and we used iMovie. And they had nice PowerMac G4's. So today I finally went out and bought a 14" Apple iBook G4. It's rad! I can burn DVD's, I can record music with GarageBand, and I'm havin' fun with this still. I even got 100 bucks off and a free iPod Mini, that I gave to my mom because I had a 20 Gig iPod. Even though the stuff is extremely expensive, I'm savin' money. I'm also getting ready to purchase an extremely loaded PowerMac G4. Anyway, I had a few questions. First, I have a monitor hooked up to the iBook, but I was wondering if I could make it one big screen instead of two duplicate screens. Also, can I plug a normal keyboard and mouse into the iBook? Anyway, I won't bore you for too long, but I love this new computer! So I guess that's all! :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
hehe..welcome to the forum.
you can actually share the same desktop by using your other monitor. Download this software called screen spanning doctor. Guess you can get it in macupdate.com.
I guess a normal usb keyboard will work even though if i never tried one. But any mouse will work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
DCraver said:
Well... I've always used Windows and was never satisfied. Always slow. Always limited in someways. But I recently took a movie production class and we used iMovie. And they had nice PowerMac G4's. So today I finally went out and bought a 14" Apple iBook G4. It's rad! I can burn DVD's, I can record music with GarageBand, and I'm havin' fun with this still. I even got 100 bucks off and a free iPod Mini, that I gave to my mom because I had a 20 Gig iPod. Even though the stuff is extremely expensive, I'm savin' money. I'm also getting ready to purchase an extremely loaded PowerMac G4. Anyway, I had a few questions. First, I have a monitor hooked up to the iBook, but I was wondering if I could make it one big screen instead of two duplicate screens. Also, can I plug a normal keyboard and mouse into the iBook? Anyway, I won't bore you for too long, but I love this new computer! So I guess that's all! :black:

Welcome to the boards. to answer your first question, yes and no. the iBook was not designed to use multiple monitors, but i believe there is a hack out there somewhere if you are comfortable doing that kind of stuff. do a search here on the boards and i believe you will find links to it.the answer to the second question is yes. i have an optical scroll wheel 2 button mouse that i use when i have the space. plugged it right in and it worked. i worked in an IT department at my last duty station and i plugged a windows keyboard into the usb port and it worked too. Enjoy your iBook.

well Chouk beat me to it.

OP
DCraver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Hmm... So it has to be a USB mouse/keyboard. Well, I just might get theBluetooth ones at the Apple Store anyway, because my mouse/keyboard have the old plugins. I forget what they're called. I beleive my father has an adapter... but I'm not sure. Well... Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
DCraver said:
... my mouse/keyboard have the old plugins. I forget what they're called.

PS/2 style.

And you can get a cheap adapter pretty much anywhere. Here's one at newegg.com that works just fine, and it's a lot cheaper than a new Bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.