15" 2011 Pro w/ 128GB SSD + 64 SD??

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im off to buy a new MacBook Pro today (my first ever yay), and am torn between getting the 500GB 7200 rpm or 128SSD option. 128GB isnt really enough, so I was thinking if I got a 32GB/64GB SD card I could store photos/music/video on there and use it as a second hard drive when I run out of space? I really have no idea on how speedy SD cards are and whether this would work but its just a thought. Can you point iPhoto to look at SD card?

Thanks!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi guys,

Im off to buy a new MacBook Pro today (my first ever yay), and am torn between getting the 500GB 7200 rpm or 128SSD option. 128GB isnt really enough, so I was thinking if I got a 32GB/64GB SD card I could store photos/music/video on there and use it as a second hard drive when I run out of space? I really have no idea on how speedy SD cards are and whether this would work but its just a thought. Can you point iPhoto to look at SD card?

Thanks!

You would be better off IMO getting an ext HD. They are small and relatively cheap. SD cards are great but I wouldn't want to trust my data files to them and based on the import times from SD card when using my camera I suspect the transfer rates will be too slow for practical use.
You're paying a premium for an SSD internal why do you want to go cheap on external storage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Could you supplement your onboard storage with an SD card you permanently keep in the SD slot and keep your iTunes folder or other folders in it? Kind of like an external HD, but completely mobile. So if I have the 128 GB, but it's not enough room. I could keep my iTunes fold on the SD card and just drop an alias into my home folder. (Obviously I would back it up in case the card gets corrupted)

Reaction score
SD cards are rated for a certain number of read/write cycles and those ratings are usually far inferior to storage media sold for long-term storage. A 2.5 inch portable hard drive will cheap, plenty big for files, and small enough to carry around. The SSD will be lightning fast. Just buy it and pick up the external HD from newegg.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.