new MBP 15": antiglare and standard resolution = not possible. What now?

Reaction score
Dear Members,

The options for the display on the new MacBookPro 15 inch are:

- MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
- MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display
- MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display

But I want the *only* other option that is unfortunately *not listed*: Antiglare at normal resolution.

But this is not possible. What now?

1) buy the hi-res antiglare display, and manually set the resolution to a lower one (via the OSX Preferences)? (The trouble with the higher resolution is that text becomes too small.)

2) buy the standard glossy display at normal resolution and attach some kind of antiglare film. (For example: antiglare film from Power Support)

I would prefer option 1), but only if the sharpness/quality of the display after manually setting it to (via the OSX Preferences) a lower resolution is still acceptable.

Option 2) has several drawbacks. First of all, I do not want the higher contrast and too vivid (non-true) colors of the glossy screen, secondly, the anti-glare film decreases the overal quality of the output, and it is very hard to attach perfectly.

So is option 1) desirable if indeed manually decreasing the resolution is acceptable. Or other suggestions?

Thanks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
The listed screen resolution is always the maximum the device is capable of. I can't imagine you would see any degradation in quality compared to a standard screen running them both at the same resolution.
If it concerns you that much go to an Apple store or Best Buy and try it first.

Reaction score
I have a mid 2009 mbp with a high res antiglare and I tried reducing the res but it looked blurry to me. As a alternative I just increase the size of my screen. I also have my mbp connected to my tv pretty much always which from my chair everything is super small but again I use my apple mouse and keyboard to increase screen size.

Reaction score
I have a mid 2009 mbp with a high res antiglare and I tried reducing the res but it looked blurry to me. As a alternative I just increase the size of my screen. I also have my mbp connected to my tv pretty much always which from my chair everything is super small but again I use my apple mouse and keyboard to increase screen size.

I've seen several comments along that line on the Apple support forums. I did see a couple of people suggest increasing the font size default within each program to help overcome that. Won't work in every app, but maybe enough to make it more reader friendly.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments!

... As a alternative I just increase the size of my screen. I also have my mbp connected to my tv pretty much always which from my chair everything is super small but again I use my apple mouse and keyboard to increase screen size.

How does that work: increase the size of screen using mouse and keyboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Just my opinion but if you want antiglare you should get Apple's screen because many of the antiglare film and other solutions have been criticized by people as not being as good. Some applications will allow you to increase the font without degrading sharpness and if you didn't know you can also increase the font and icon size in Apple's Finder but I understand your dilemma.

On the same topic this seems to be Apple solution to the problem: Mac OS X Lion Building in Support for Super High Resolution 'Retina' Monitors
Of course this doesn't solve your current problem but at least Apple is trying to find a solution. Hopefully a solution will come sooner rather than later because there are many people affected by this problem.

Reaction score
How does that work: increase the size of screen using mouse and keyboard?[/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry this reply took so long. No used to someone actually interested in what I have to say on here lmao.any who I use my track pad and control to zoom or magic mouse and control depending what I'm using that day. Push and hold control push up on either mouse or track pad. This is a very good option for me. I use the magic mouse and apple keyboard from my chair with no issues this way. Again sorry it took so long.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.