MacBook Air Superdrive not seen on iMac

Reaction score
I connected a Macbook Air Superdrive to my iMac (Mac OS X 10.6.6) to have a second cd/DVD drive. The external drive works (works on my Macbook, and when connected to the iMAc it accepts and load a CD). The problem is that the disk drive or CD does not show up anywhere - in finder, on the desktop...nowhere.
Often I will put in a language lesson CD in the iMac CD drive, and dont wish to remove it, but will want to load on a music CD - which is why I connected the external drive.

Why does the external CD/DVD drive not show up on the iMac? How can i make use of having an external drive along with an internal drive

Thanks

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.4GHz Core i5 10.7.3 4GB DDR3 RAM 500GB HDD
Writing your mac specs might make people know the issue :)

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.4GHz Core i5 10.7.3 4GB DDR3 RAM 500GB HDD
The optical drive inside the MBA SuperDrive is a 12.7 mm drive – it will work in the iBook G4, PowerBook G4, 17″ MacBook Pro, Mac mini, iMac G5, Intel iMac.

It will not work in the MacBook and 15″ MacBook Pro – both require 8.5 mm drives.

OP
P
Reaction score
My iMac is running version 10.6.6, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory

The build-in CD/DVD drive is on the side of the Mac - it works properly. It is a Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
According to the Apple store site for the MBA SuperDrive it only shows it being compatible with MBA and Mac Mini Server.
Indications are it will not work on your iMac.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks to all- @Razormac - thanks, that is the information I am finding too. Just wanted to make sure that I was overlooking some simple setting. Thanks again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks to all- @Razormac - thanks, that is the information I am finding too. Just wanted to make sure that I was overlooking some simple setting. Thanks again.

Yeah...those external superdrives for the MacBook Air are specifically designed for them...and I'm not totally sure they would work with all other Mac models...other than the Mac-mini server (which like the MBA has no internal Superdrive). There may be a special driver that's installed with the OS that allows the MBA Superdrive to only work on certain model computers.

Also...for about 50% of the price of the MacBook Airs external superdrive...you can buy an external superdrive for other Mac models:

OWC Value Line USB2.0/1.1 22X Super-MultiD... (VLU2SD22XLS) at OWC

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.