Is firefox a good choice for my mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac g3 500Mhz
So, I have been using safari as my browser, but it is slow. Especially on youtube vids. Also, my computer currently has only 256 MB of RAM, can that make my mac slower than if it had the maximum RAM in it? I have heard that the more RAM your computer has the faster it will be. Is firefox any faster? I had firefox on my pc and loved it, but I have heard some people saying it's not so good. I don't know what to use. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

-Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You are talking about a 10yr old Mac.
Not much you can do about it.
You can try maxing out your RAM which will be 1GB, and for what it costs, it really can't hurt to try, but I don't really think that your going to get much more joy than you are getting.
I use Firefox, but this is just a preference, and is for many.
My honest suggestions would be to save up for a newer Mac, at minimum, something with an intel processor.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes extra RAM will certainly help..but another crucial part to the overall system performance is the processor and you have a dated one. The RAM boost should give you a small but noticeable boost..but as @6string suggested, might be time to look into an upgrade..:)

Regards

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Mozilla Firefox 3.6 System Requirements

You meet the requirements (assuming you are of course running at least 10.4) but although this is the case, using Firefox won't solve the problem. The problem with YouTube is Flash, not the browser. Unfortunately, upgrading Flash is likely to make the issue worse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I agree with vansmith. Your problem is your Mac's processor is too slow but your 256 MB RAM doesn't help either. Flash requires a fairly recent Mac computer to run smoothly. My old PowerBook G4 that I still have around is faster than your iMac but it can't run Flash videos all too well either.

You are just asking a lot from a very old computer. Upgrading your RAM probably won't get the results you want but if it doesn't cost much you can try it. That might hold you over until you can afford to upgrade to a faster Mac. Upgrading to a more recent Mac would be the best solution.

OP
IMACFAN15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac g3 500Mhz
Would an imac g5 be a good choice? I have looked at some and most I've found were only bout 5 or 6 years old. How old of an imac should I get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.