:::weird white screen plus staircase colored flickering dots??:::

Reaction score
whats up everyone. this is my first post here on mac forums. I have this issue with my 4 year old 17inch imac. I tried doing some research on the issue but i cant find my specific one. When i turn on the comp i just had a white screen. Then after some recommendations i reseted the memory by doing command option RP. Then these staircase colored flashing dots started happening but in the background i see the OS booting up. Once it finishes booting up i have a white screen and I cant see anything other than a white backdrop and the staircase colored lines.

here is a picture for reference: I really appreciate any advise!!
this picture is of the computer already "loaded."

photofz.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
TIA,
Gabe.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like a graphics processor problem. Try attaching an external monitor to your iMac and see if the same thing happens. If you don't have a spare monitor, a TV can be used. Post back the results and we can go from there.

OP
G
Reaction score
i think im going to have to buy the monitor adapter because i dont think the computer came with it. :/

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
that is a tell tale sign of a broken graphics processor, as chscag says.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.