External HD Problems

Reaction score
I have a Power Mac G4 Tower (PPC) that's currently running OS X 10.1. I'm trying to format my WD My Book 2TB in order to use for media storage on this mac but when I attempt to create only one partition it doesn't show the HD on the desktop and I have no way to access it. If I create two partitions it will only allow me to access the smallest one of the two. Is there any way I can format this HD to use the full 1.82 TB that are free? I have been formatting it as OS X Extended I believe. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Well if you are really using OS X.1, and that is about as old as The Flinstones, the computer probably will not recognise anything over a 128GB hard drive and this may apply to externals as well.

Also on a G4 you would need to connect via Firewire for the drive to be bootable, and needs to be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled) first, and then partition in Apple Partition Map.

OP
L
Reaction score
I think you're right because I just checked the Hard drive I just installed which is a 320GB and it only shows about 128GB available. I guess that was quick and simple. If I upgrade to 10.4 will it then be able to read the hard drive as the full 2TB? and the internal as the full 320GB?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.