iphone and body / hand aches

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
After about 2 years of wanting one I finally got a new iphone 4 last week. After downloading loads of apps and games I have been using it for about an hour a night for gaming.

around thursday I noticed a numb sensation in my left hand, predominantly in my little and ring finger. It comes and goes, even when not using the device.

Furthermore, I have been putting my phone in my jean pocket when taking my dog out, for approx an hour. Afterward experiencing an uncomfortable "hot" or warm ache in that area.

Anyone experienced this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Are you in a bad coverage area while walking the dog? That could cause it to get hot. Or do you have any programs that access the web a lot? For example meebo accesses a bunch of social networks at once, pretty much all the time.

Secondly there is Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) that can happen with mobile devices. The most common is called Blackberry thumb - which comes from typing with your thumbs too much. Depending on your gaming habits - it may be what is causing your pain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
You really should see a doctor about this but adding to what Ivan has said you could also be sensitive to the wireless radiation signals being sent out by your iPhone or any cell phone/smartphones.

As Ivan has also mentioned there are some apps that try to access the internet a lot so if this is the case your iPhone could be emitting signals more frequently. They will even keep accessing the internet when your iPhone is asleep. You can go into your settings and turn off your data network when you aren't using it so no apps will be sending data.

I'm not saying that this is definitely your problem but it's worth a try. I do know that if I use my iPhone's internet connection for too long I get headaches so I'm glad Apple gave us the option to turn off data when not in use. Turning off the data internet connection when not using it solved my problem.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I only use the "official" social network apps and shut them down when not in use. Actually, thinking about it, I close all my apps when its not in use. I've turned my 3g and wifi off.

After a bit of digging around on the internet, my hand problem may/may not be related to my iphone use. The symptoms I have are similar to Cubital tunnel syndrome, a type of RSI. Perhaps caused by the way I am holding my phone. It could be entirely possible its just a coincidence that it has manifested now.
Still, the "hot leg" is a bit worrying.

I'm going to get myself to a doctor this afternoon. I'll report back!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've come to the conclusion that the "Hot Leg syndrome" (my term) is artificial/psychosomatic. I too get that but I also get it when I think my phone is in my pocket and it's not. I've gotten it with every cell phone I've ever owned, not just my iPhone. I also experience what I call "Text vibrate syndrome". That's where my leg will seem to feel the vibration of an incoming text message where my iPhone usually sits, even though my iPhone isn't in my pocket. The brain is a funny thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
That makes me think of this dilbert cartoon

18381.strip.gif

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have only ever had it with the iphone and a seimens phone I used to have about 9 years ago. The siemens was significantly different though, that used to actually cause great discomfort and a stabbing pain in my leg if it was in my pocket for a period of time!

I think i'm just sensitive to them. Either way, my arm / hand issues seem to be persisting. I'm at the doctors on tuesday evening.

Thanks for your help / amusing moral support. I will of course let you all know how I get on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.