• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD 6 performance on G4 iMac vs G4 iBook

Reaction score
I have a puzzlement about the performance of iDVD 6 running on three different Macs, and I'm wondering if any of you might be able to provide a logical explanation. The symptoms make no sense to me:

1. Running on a 1.25 GHz G4 iMac (PPC, 1 Gig memory, OS 10.5.8) an 8-minute iDVD 6 project took about 90 minutes to create a disk image.

2. Running the same iDVD project file on a 1.42 GHz G4 iBook (PPC, 512 M memory, OS 10.5.8) took about 35 minutes to create the disk image.

3. Running the same iDVD project file on a 1.33 GHz G4 iBook (PPC, 768 M memory, OS 10.4.11) took 17 minutes to create the disk image.

A month ago I did a much longer video (~80 minutes) and ran into the same symptoms: the 1.42 GHz iBook created the disk image in about 11 hours, while the iMac took about 23 hours (and then the image from the iMac would not play correctly, even though the iMac said "image created successfully.")

The iMac has no trouble at all with iMovie 6 in creating the iMovie projects and then creating iDVD projects with iDVD. It's just the burning of the disk image that goes haywire on the iMac.

I'm wondering if there's some sort of congenital incompatibility between iDVD 6 and OS 10.5. I'm skittish about reinstalling OS 10.4 on the iMac to test this notion since it's such a pain to revert to an earlier OS on a Mac.

Could this be some sort of memory problem on the iMac? It came with 512 M and I upgraded it to 1 Gig after a few years.

Lest you suggest it, I'm not in the market for an Intel-based Mac. For my purposes, the iLife 6 package is the best they've offered and I plan to stick with it.

Thoughts and suggestions would be most appreciated!

Chuck McKinley

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.