Use Restore Discs to Install XP On MBP

Reaction score
I recently got a copy of microsoft flight simulator but I do not have a windows machine to play it on but my friend has a toshiba equium a100-147 with restore discs for windows xp.

My question - Could I use these discs to install windows xp on my macbook pro.

-Jamie:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
Not too sure. They're more than likely model specific but you can always give it a try.

Make sure to do a backup first!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
They probably will not install and if used on the Toshiba, will not activate.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not only is that not in accordance with the Microsoft EULA, but the instructions for Boot Camp are specific about what versions of XP can be used.

Recovery, restore, and OEM branded versions will not work. I suggest buying an OEM System Builder full version of XP SP3 from NewEgg, Amazon, or Tiger Direct.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. My friend also has upgrade dvds for windows vista could I use these to install windows using bootcamp.

-Jamie:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No upgrade discs will not install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions in the future to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Reaction score
And upgrade discs will not install either. Boot Camp is very specific on what works and what will not. Chscag's post is accurate and you should follow it. your questions are also "asked and answered" in the sticky at the top of this forum.

Cheers

Reaction score
No upgrade discs will not install.

I read in the sticky that if u use a upgrade disc u just have to put in a previous version of window. Has something changed in bootcamp? An upgrade disc has the full windows installer on it. I have received free upgrade discs in the mail from Microsoft as a promotion then used that disc instead of recovery discs so to refrain from all the garbage and drivers provided from them

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure you're reading the sticky accurately or is it from someone else's reply?

Here is what the Sticky says can be used:

* Windows XP Home or Professional with SP2/3 integrated.
* Windows Vista (any non-upgrade version).
* Windows discs that came with another computer may not be used with Boot Camp for both technical and legal reasons, although you may use a non-branded OEM disc (also known as "OEM for System Builders").

Also this reply you gave is lending to an illegal activity:

Prolly can if u use the key from the xp toshiba computer.

This would be in violation of the Microsoft EULA and the Toshiba user agreement. And it also would not work.

Reaction score
Help! I started to install Bootcamp and then followed with my DVD of Windows XP Pro but then it reminded me that my XP Pro was an upgrade and I needed to put in an original WIndows disk Windows 2000, Millenium, 98 or 95. Problem is I can't eject the original Windows disk and there is no eject button on Macs as there is on PCs. Shutting down doesn't help - it just starts up again trying to install WIndows XP. I've tried holding down various keys to force it to start on OSX without any luck. It's a MacMini 1.83Ghz with a new 320Gb drive and 2Gb RAM. It's still open with the cover off after I changed the HDD and added more RAM but looking at the DVD I can see no physical way of ejecting the disk. ANy bright ideas? WHat I should have done was start with WIndows Millenium and then added the XP Upgrade but at the moment I am stuck. If I could get it to boot up in OSX then I could see the foreign disk and eject it.

Dave

Above is the post I was referring to. I have no bad intentions however if what I said was a violation I apologize. I was speaking from my own experience. I personally in '05 used a emachine restore disk and a xp pro upgrade to install to a home made pc. I had to talk to ms and explain the emachine was no longer in service and they gave me a code to activate. If rules have changed since then my bad. I will try and know without a doubt before posting next time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.