FAQ: Archive and Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
For some reason I can't get a grasp of what the Archive and Install option actually preserves. If I choose this option, and reinstall Tiger, will my, say, iTunes Music folder be preserved? Or random folders that are on my desktop?
I've been using Macs my whole computing life, so I feel a little odd asking such a basic question, but I've got no accessible way to back up my files at this time, and I don't want to make a stupid mistake I'll soon regret.
Thanks!

Reaction score
I always do a clean install when going from one OS to another, or if I have to just re-install the same version. I can always redo my preferences again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" G5 2.1, iMac 24" Alum 2.8, iBook G4 1g
Ok if I do a full backup (which I do regularly) can I do a clean install and then use migration assistant? Will the assistant copy to the new OS all my programs, photos, music, and network and mail settings?

Thanks in advance,

Dan Reilly

Reaction score
Ok if I do a full backup (which I do regularly) can I do a clean install and then use migration assistant? Will the assistant copy to the new OS all my programs, photos, music, and network and mail settings?

Thanks in advance,

Dan Reilly

I did this and it MOSTLY worked (still testing). My mail, iTunes, Safari, Firefox, Quicken, Address Book, Toast, etc work. I noticed my share connection between my PC and Mac broke on my home network, but it should be easy to fix. I haven't tested all my apps yet but the main ones I use seem to work just fine. However, I plan to do another fresh re-install and manually re-install the apps I need and setting myself. I feel I have too many apps and setting I never use which are taking up space. Since you backed everything up why not test it out yourself, that's what I did. I used Superduper to make a bootable Tiger full backup on my second internal hard drive just in case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Do you still need to uninstall plugins and apps such as Httpmail, Application Enhancer and Logitech control center if you use Archive & Install to avoid problems with the new install or do you need to do that only with the upgrade option?

Reaction score
hey guys
so if i archive and reinstall the osx do i loose anything? should i make a back up?
what is the archive good for?

i cant find iphoto on my mac so i guess the best thin to do is archive and reinstall right?
but what about all the other programs (freeware) that i've downloaded ? will i loose them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - 24", 2.8 GHz Extreme, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD | iPod Nano 3G, 4GB
EDIT: Nevermind

Reaction score
For some reason I can't get a grasp of what the Archive and Install option actually preserves. If I choose this option, and reinstall Tiger, will my, say, iTunes Music folder be preserved? Or random folders that are on my desktop?
I've been using Macs my whole computing life, so I feel a little odd asking such a basic question, but I've got no accessible way to back up my files at this time, and I don't want to make a stupid mistake I'll soon regret.
Thanks!

I'm wondering the same thing - especially in regard to the "random folders that are on my desktop". I upgraded from 10.4 to 10.5, and my MBP won't boot up anymore. Disc Utility cannot verify or repair the disk, so I've been told to to an archive and install option. I need to know if the folders from the desktop will be archived as well, or if I need to have someone do an expensive backup before reinstalling...

Reaction score
hi all,
i recently got a g5 from my cousin who didnt need it anymore, but the drive was completely wiped, and i cant get past the gray ?folder screen after putting the installation dvd even after holding down c. is there another button i should hold down, or is there just something wrong with teh hardware?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this the DVD that originally came with the G5? Is this a Power Mac G5 Tower or iMac G5 with flat panel monitor built in?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Where did you purchase the DVD? Is it Black? A Retail copy? If not that is probably the issue.

Reaction score
Hi there,

I want to do an archive and install because my usb drives aren't reading properly (they'll eject randomly).

My question is if I need the same install disc I used to upgrade to Leopard. My old roommate gave me Leopard when he bought it, but he lives really far away now and I can't get the disc from him. My sister has Leopard though. Could I use her install disc even though I've never used it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
Hi, I've had my macbook 2 years now and have never had any problems with it until a couple of days ago I turned it on and it came up with the white screen flashing a grey question mark at me. I read that this means there is a corrupted file and that I would need to re-install the system but when I started the archive and install process, I came across the 'select a destination' screen and there is nothing there to select, I can't even select the options button. Does anybody know why this is or how to help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 1.83Ghz Dual Core, 2 GB RAM, running 10.6.1
Deb, sounds like your hard drive has died and you need to replace it.

Reaction score
hi i need some help with my imac (24 inch). 2 days ago I found that browsing the net seems to be very slow and i found 2 unknown folders in my harddisk.. so i restarted my imac... then a screen comes up and ask me to restart.. i think it's called kernel panic... i tried the standard troubleshooting but still the same screen kept appearing.. so i did the Archive and Install and i was prompted to key in password... now here is another problem cos i did not set any password and i read online that i can reset by booting from the cd and go to the utility to change the password.. ok tell me if i did anything wrong here->

1) I restarted the imac
2) press down the option key
3) when the screen shows my harddisk icon, i inserted the cd
4) i click on the cd and pressed the arrow button

KERNEL PANIC message shows up again!!!!!! argh... what should i do now????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.