Can't upgrade from Tiger to SL on MB 2006

Reaction score
I have the 2006 white 1.83 ghz intel core duo macbook. I have been trying unsuccessfully to install my new SL. First, I didn't have enough memory. So I bought that and installed 2 gb (that's max.) I have plenty of HD disk space available. I have hardly anything on this computer, basically just some pics and a few documents. So I insert the install disk and it starts installing, says 45 minute wait. At about 3 minutes down, it says install failed. And that's about it. Please help! Oh, also I do not have the tiger disks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
Are you just doing the upgrade?

I believe you have to go from leopard (10.5) to snow leopard (10.6), UNLESS you do a clean install of snow leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
basically. A clean install would be like a reformat. You'll start off fresh (if you have any data you want to keep on your laptop or applications make sure to back them up)

OP
K
Reaction score
OK so I need to put my pics on a hard drive and then how do I do a clean install? I bought the SL box set and I read that I can go from Tiger to SL with that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have the 2006 white 1.83 ghz intel core duo macbook. I have been trying unsuccessfully to install my new SL. First, I didn't have enough memory. So I bought that and installed 2 gb (that's max.) I have plenty of HD disk space available. I have hardly anything on this computer, basically just some pics and a few documents. So I insert the install disk and it starts installing, says 45 minute wait. At about 3 minutes down, it says install failed. And that's about it. Please help! Oh, also I do not have the tiger disks.

What OS 10.6 disk are you using? If it's a "grey" disk...it will not work on your computer.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No, I have the white one. I bought it brand new.

Have you been having any other problems with this MacBook?

What was your original reason for upgrading from Tiger to SL in the first place?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok. Here's what you want to do.

Backup all your data (pictures, music documents, etc.. whatever you feel is important) You should have all your application discs so you'll have to do some re-installing but that's the cost of doing a clean install.

insert the snow leopard disc (10.6) and turn your computer off. Turn it back on holding down the "C" key until you get the Grey screen with the apple logo and the small little status ball underneath.

Let it do it's thing until you get the "welcome to snow leopard" screen.

Choose your language, let it go form there until the top status bar pops up on top of the screen. Go to your utilities, then disk utility then click on the internal hard drive and erase it.

Once that's done, leave disk utility and then carry on through the snow leopard install. Once it's done, you should be GOOD TO GO.

OP
K
Reaction score
Have you been having any other problems with this MacBook?

What was your original reason for upgrading from Tiger to SL in the first place?

- Nick

I have not had any other problems with my MB. I needed to upgrade because I couldn't use itunes and I have an iphone so...

ok. Here's what you want to do.

Backup all your data (pictures, music documents, etc.. whatever you feel is important) You should have all your application discs so you'll have to do some re-installing but that's the cost of doing a clean install.

insert the snow leopard disc (10.6) and turn your computer off. Turn it back on holding down the "C" key until you get the Grey screen with the apple logo and the small little status ball underneath.

Let it do it's thing until you get the "welcome to snow leopard" screen.

Choose your language, let it go form there until the top status bar pops up on top of the screen. Go to your utilities, then disk utility then click on the internal hard drive and erase it.

Once that's done, leave disk utility and then carry on through the snow leopard install. Once it's done, you should be GOOD TO GO.

Thanks! However, that's what I did. Except it didn't work. And I don't have the original Tiger disk and didn't backup my hard drive (I know stupid...but I didn't think it all the way through.) It goes to the 31 minutes left to install and about 3 minutes into it, it says Install Failed. :( So now I have nothing. Should I take it to an Apple Store? I don't know why it is not installing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.