Simple Bootcamp Question

Reaction score
Hi

I can't seem to find this information elsewhere.

I don't yet have a mac, but I would like to know how long it takes to switch from Mac OSX to Windows through bootcamp each time. I don't need to know how to install it as there are many resources for that.

Do you need to restart the machine each time you go from one to the other? Things like that. Should be easy for you guys to answer.

Oh yeah, and this is my first post, will probably post much more while I figure things out in making my own transition.

Thanks Mac-forums!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, with BootCamp you will restart to switch back and forth.

Perhaps you might start off reading the sticky in the top of this forum - link.

OP
S
Reaction score
and. ommices

Okay thanks that did answer my question about restarting.

So I guess running intense games on Macs (PC games) is best done through bootcamp.

What about games like CoD4? While there is a mac version I have seen multiple threads in which people advise to play CoD4 through bootcamp. What's that all about? Does windows through bootcamp use the hardware differently?

Sorry, im such a noob at macs.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When Windows is booted on a Mac by using the Boot Camp assistant, the Mac in effect becomes a Windows machine - a very good one. That should answer your question. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
bootcamp doesnt do anything special other then partition your hard drive and provide windows drivers for the hardware. the windows install is a regular windows install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.