• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

First Look: Inside Apple's fast new Thunderbolt port on MacBook Pros

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
First Look: Inside Apple's fast new Thunderbolt port on MacBook Pros
AppleInsider | First Look: Inside Apple's fast new Thunderbolt port on MacBook Pros
Apple has introduced the first implementation of Intel's new Thunderbolt technology for high speed communications, aimed at providing a very fast new data connection for mobile professionals.

Intel details Thunderbolt, says Apple has full year head start
AppleInsider | Intel details Thunderbolt, says Apple has full year head start
At a press conference earlier this morning, Intel offered additional information about its new Thunderbolt interconnect technology being pioneered by Apple in its latest batch of MacBook Pros, noting Apple will have a year long head start in deploying the technology.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
A full years head start is a big reason to not waste ones money on a new MBP based on using TB technology, even for a "professional" since no one knows exactly how many or what kind of peripherals will be supported or when support will be coming, period. It's one thing to be an early adopter of new technology, but I think it's another thing entirely to spend money on technology that you can't even use for who knows how long...

If Apple knew they'd have a year's head start, it would have been truly smart of them to have partnered up with a few third party company's who make peripherals to accompany the release and not have people saying: "Wow.... cool ! So now what do we do with this?"

I'm sure we'll see things shortly, like maybe in a few months *hopefully less* but still, it seems a bit unprofessional to pull what seems like a preview stunt.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Unless I read differently, Apple is going the Thunderbolt route but will not put a Blue Ray player/burner in the newer Macs. :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
But there are already peripherals for USB 3.0 and Apple wouldn't put them in machines even though at this point in time they would be more useful. Somehow this doesn't make a lot of sense to me

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Unless I read differently, Apple is going the Thunderbolt route but will not put a Blue Ray player/burner in the newer Macs. :Confused:

BluRay. Not Blue Ray. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
It seems Apple's answer to this is to make the new DVD drive 8x and support double-layer DVD discs.

According to Intel it isn't exactly exclusive. They are open to manufacturers using the T.B. technology on their products.
That's good to hear because it will help Thunderbolt to be adopted quicker which I really hope will happen because it's a very interesting technology. I would prefer Thunderbolt over USB 3 as long as there will also be a large selection of products for it unlike Firewire.

But there are already peripherals for USB 3.0 and Apple wouldn't put them in machines even though at this point in time they would be more useful. Somehow this doesn't make a lot of sense to me
Unless I'm mistaken from what I've read Thunderbolt can be used like the old ExpressCard port. This means that you just need to buy an adaptor that has the port connections you want so yes it will probably handle USB 3, 2, Firewire, etc. This bring back the usefulness of the ExpressCard port but at greater possible speeds.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
You can see exactly where this TB tech is going. Updated time capsules with a TB port maybe? Or maybe you can hook up to MPB's or other Macs in the future and work on Mac with data stored on the other.

This TB port makes an external almost as good as an internal. Having the TB port is pointless if you can do nothing with it. And I'm sure Apple have plans to make use of this new port.

Reaction score
Here's a good article on Thunderbolt:

What you need to know about Thunderbolt | Computers | MacUser | Macworld

LaCie has already announced hard drives based on the technology:
LaCie is the premier manufacturer of high quality digital storage.

And these folks have already announced RAID systems:

Promise
Press Releases

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Technology is moving too I LOVE PRETTY PONIES fast.

Reaction score
Technology is moving too I LOVE PRETTY PONIES fast.

If that's true, why is it that the year 2,000 came and passed, and I still don't have a robot maid, a flying car, or a virtual reality closet in which I can take a vacation and ride dinosaurs?

All my life I'd been told that I would have all of those by the year 2,000.
I think that I've been lied to!

It's 2011 and all that I get is a faster data bus called Thunderbolt...

;D

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Watch Futurama.
And you'll see those things will come by the year 3000.

Reaction score
Watch Futurama.
And you'll see those things will come by the year 3000.

Forgive me for being curmudgeonly about this...but I'm not prepared to wait that long.

(However, I am an ardent Futurama watcher.)

Even Back To The Future said that I'd have flying cars (and skateboards) by now.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you believed the movies you'd have your flying cars now. But you would not have long to enjoy it with the ending of the world and all in 2012.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If you believed the movies you'd have your flying cars now. But you would not have long to enjoy it with the ending of the world and all in 2012.
I grew up with the future being filled with images of flying cars and metal clothing.

I still want the flying car, but I am extraordinarily grateful that:

1) none of the teenagers and/or drunks that cruise through our neighborhood have flying cars, and

2) on cold mornings I don't have to put on metal underwear

BTW: I missed that movie in the theaters but it' still on my list to see. The critics didn't care for it, but from the previews it looked interesting. Maybe I'll watch it New Years eve this year? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
If that's true, why is it that the year 2,000 came and passed, and I still don't have a robot maid, a flying car, or a virtual reality closet in which I can take a vacation and ride dinosaurs?

All my life I'd been told that I would have all of those by the year 2,000.
I think that I've been lied to!

It's 2011 and all that I get is a faster data bus called Thunderbolt...

;D

Wait... Hold on a second now. Are you actually saying..... That you don't have a robot maid? See, I always thought it was called silicone valley because of the strong I.T. presence. Now that my eyes are open, I can see that it was always referring to elective cosmetic surgery.

You guys really need to get with the times ! :D

Doug

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Obviously, someone built a time machine and took away our hover boards and flying cars. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but just saying…

Thunderbolt looks very promising. But like others are saying, when thinking of the limited popularity of Firewire, I'm hoping Thunderbolt doesn't trend towards that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Firewire was almost only pushed by Apple, it was never widely adopted by other manufacturers.

Thunderbolt is an Intel invention with Apple being a major proponent. If Intel puts its muscle behind it, there's a much greater chance of success since they'll just build it into their chipsets so other manufacturers have no reason not to use it.

The big question is more along the lines of will Thunderbolt or USB 3 be the Intel flavor of the month in the long-term?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Just as a trivial aside - I completely preferred LightPeak - to Thunderbolt...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.