Macbook pro liquid spill

Reaction score
So lastnight my macbook was on the ground next to a cup with melted ice and sprite in it, somehow the cup tipped over and it could have been 10-15 minutes until i noticed. The disc drive seemed to be the wettest along with the bottom, i took the bottom cover off and wiped down the bottom and im guessing most of the liquid went right where the hinge is and got into the computer. I tried turning it on (dumb) and it wouldnt turn on at all, i also tried charging it (dumber) and the light was a faint green. So i opened the bottom, cleaned up some drops inside and now have had a fan blowing on it for 15 hours or so. I couldnt remove the battery because i dont have a tri wing screw driver. Since the computer didnt turn on at all am i **** out of luck? Does that mean its shorted? Has anyone else spilled liquid in their computer and had it shut off on them right away? any help will help! Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But if its not turning on, does that mean its done for? Or is there still hope

If you were taking a bath in a full tub of water...and someone threw in a plugged in toaster...how dead would you be??? Just kidding...but hopefully you get what I mean.;)

Same sort of thing applies to your MacBook Pro. Chances are it's a goner. Maybe not 100%...but a lot more than 50%!:(

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Give it time. If you're able, take it completely apart and let it dry out real well. If it still doesn't work, it's toast. Another thing you should be aware of is that even if the computer somehow comes back to life, it doesn't mean everything is OK. Usually spills cause problems over time.

Good advice might be to think about selling it on eBay for parts and use the money you get to perhaps buy a new one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.