Hardrive is about to die!

Reaction score
I have an imac and also run 2 WD mybook external drives. I have noticed one seems to have been hanging now and again the last few weeks so tonight I tried to runa disk verify which told me there was an error and to repair but when trying to repair, I got the following message;

Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

So, I have ordered a new drive. My question is, should I be ok to drag and drop the all files off my old drive onto my new one or are the files themselves likely to be part of the problem?

Another point is, once I have copied all the files over, if I name the new drive the same as my current dying one, should all software that references those files continue working as they were?

Cheers :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Hardrive is about dead!

Hi

I have a dying external drive so need to get all files from it, to a new external drive. Its mainly audio files of one type or another (im a musician)

Is it a good idea to simply drag and drop evenything all at once and let it do its thing or should I be using another method?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Are the files that you want to transfer on your computer? If they are you could do a Time Machine back up.

-Kyle

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may run into difficulty trying to copy files from the old drive to the new one. However, for now that's what you should try first. If errors occur and the old drive can not be repaired, you may have to purchase specialized software in order to remove the files from it.

Edit: Do not cross post! Keep your threads limited to just one for the same subject. I've merged them together.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.