Screensaver stopped working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" macbook pro (2010) 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM, 500GB HD.
I noticed when I left my computer today and went away for half an hour when I got back the screensaver wasn't on.

So I changed the time from 15 minutes to 3, let it sit for 5 minutes, nothing.

Restarted and done the same and it appears to be working now.
Anyone know what could be the cause of this, perhaps a program i had open stopping the screensaver from coming on?

One of those annoying niggling bugs that I just need to find out why it happened so I can stop it from happening again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If it happens a second time, then you probably need to try to figure out why, unless it's already next year.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Look to see what's running in the background possibly preventing the screensaver from activating. Open up your Activity Monitor.app and check.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Look to see what's running in the background possibly preventing the screensaver from activating. Open up your Activity Monitor.app and check.

Well I know what's running anyway, but knowing what's running doesn't really provide me with any clue as to what's stopping the screensaver from coming on.

The computer screen doesn't 'sleep' either after 15 minutes.

It's happening again and I have no idea what's causing it.

'it just works'. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
is this one of Apple's screensaver's or a Flash based? Have you tried selecting another ?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it's one of apples and i've tried others.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh and the computer won't sleep either, even if i set computer sleep to 1 minute then leave it, just never sleeps by itself.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well I know what's running anyway, but knowing what's running doesn't really provide me with any clue as to what's stopping the screensaver from coming on.

The computer screen doesn't 'sleep' either after 15 minutes.

The Activity Monitor.app not only shows what programs are running but also shows what processes are going on. There are processes that can prevent the machine from sleeping or a screensaver from activating.

You can also start trouble shooting by trying first to reset your SMC and PRAM/NVRAM. Don't be anxious to "toss off" a suggestion before you try it.

C

chas_m

I love how people tend to blame Apple for problems when, in fact, they've already identified that it is their own error (program they left running) that is causing the issue. Yes, that's Apple's fault.

Andymac, you've already answered your own question: you're leaving a program open that won't let the mac go to sleep. The answer is "stop doing that."

If you've come to us from Windows, remember that closing a program's window does NOT automatically quit the program as it does on Windows. If you want the screen saver to run, you don't have to quit EVERY program, but you DO need to quit any program that interacts with the internet, or engages in any time of automatic activity (like auto-saving) -- otherwise, the computer will keep getting updated, and thus the screensaver and/or sleep never has a chance to come or (or stay on).

I'm in the habit of quitting every program as soon as I'm done with it, because even if I find I need it again it will take upwards of an entire SECOND for it to re-launch. This habit, which I picked up back in the olden days when RAM was an issue, has kept me completely free of screensaver- or sleep-related problems over the decades.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
It's possible that something might have gotten corrupted. Try running repair permissions and or verify disks and see if that helps.. Check all your startup programs also as was mentioned programs that update themselves or even if you have uninstalled something.. Way back I was running a game in parallels and every time it seemed it would do it's timed update, the mac and parallels would freeze. I checked for running programs and crash logs and found that a demo of Drive genius I had installed and then uninstalled was still trying to load...

Good luck

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Aqua:

You do realize that you're responding to a thread that's well over a year old?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Oops:Oops: LOL Now I do

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.