Just got off the phone with applecare... question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
Ok guys,

So I recently moved down to the beach and in my move my macbook pro box, restore software, and goodies were either a stolen somehow, or just misplaced.

So I purchased idefrag a bit agobBUT I need my restore disc to boot from. No biggie right, I'll pay the $40 or so bucks to get replacements through applecare.

Call up applecare, give them the serial number, pay the $40 and get them in the mail the newt few days. Well, I get one disc, which is just a copy of what I could have bought in store for $29.00, so a bit of a rip off.

I didn't get my two discs that I originally had for this machine.

I then try to boot from it (holding down C) and get the the grey apple screen but then there is NO progress from there. I then make a genius bar reservation.

He informs me that the build model of this machine wont boot from what they currently sell (SL discs) so he contacts apple and orders me what he says will work.

I then get a "15" macbook pro OS X install DVD" in the mail. I insert this, boot up, hold down C and it just boots to my desktop as usual.

Apple just told me on the phone that BOTH those discs should have worked and I may have a problem with my optical drive or logic board, but everything I read online is that I'm just not getting the right version of SL.

Which one is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
If you buy the retail SL disc it should work on ANY Intel Mac. Retail discs are not machine specific at all, so the $29 disc should be perfectly fine.
The advice about the optical drive or logic board seems to be about right.
One solution, if it's the optical at fault, would be to put SL on to a USB stick, and install it from that, provided your drive will read it.
If it's the logic board, then it's expensive.
To be hinest, if you have Applecare, I'd get it off to Apple to look at.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try holding the option key down if holding down 'C' does not work.

And I don't know, but have seen a few reports that the SL retail discs that have a version older than the version that shipped with your Mac, will not work.

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks guys.

I tried booting up and holding down option but it only gave me my internal drive as an option to boot from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Try holding the option key down if holding down 'C' does not work.

And I don't know, but have seen a few reports that the SL retail discs that have a version older than the version that shipped with your Mac, will not work.

Interesting, and annoying I guess, but I would have thought that if the OP only just purchased SL it should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I have a Snow Leopard retail disc that does not work in my MBP. I believe it is 10.6.0, but the MBP I have was released with 10.6.3.
So, this information is correct.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As 6string says you cannot go backwards with operating systems alas. Back to the Genius Bar and kick up a ruckus. Ask them if a new Snow Leopard disc will boot the MBP and ask for a demonstration.

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks guys!

Luckily I have one not more then two miles away!

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All is well.

Came across a GREAT genius at the apple store who tested teh discs I was originally sent, told me they had no idea what they were doing and proceeded to search the ENTIRE store for a 15" macbook pro that was returned (same specs as mine) and gave me the restore discs from that.

Tested them there at the store and it worked just as it should have.

I even got the little black booklet that houses the DVDs, manual, stickers and cleaning cloth out of the deal!

great guy.. almost made me want to buy the new macbook pro then and there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent result.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
These are the sort of stories I like to hear about customer support.

Having spent a couple of years working phone tech support for both Dell and Microsoft years ago, I was always upset with both of them that their outlook was to maintain a certain average time per customer rather than actually helping the customer. I quit MS over this issue. The Dell call center I worked in overlooked my average times after awhile when I started pulling in the highest customer scores of anyone in the center. One of the guys I sat next to had the lowest average time per call consistently and I'm not sure that he ever actually helped fix anyone's issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
All I can say is that you either care or you don't.... the bottom $ means everything to the majority!
I and most of you here do this for nothing, for free, or whatever you want to call it!
Why we eventually choose to work for ourselves, is for a good reason!
Apple is a really cool company, and although not perfect, I see as something closer to what I think is the way I'd like it to be.
Much as is Richard Branson and virgin (agree or disagree), etc.
Ok, I'm blabbering so I will leave it there :D

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
All is well.

Came across a GREAT genius at the apple store who tested teh discs I was originally sent, told me they had no idea what they were doing and proceeded to search the ENTIRE store for a 15" macbook pro that was returned (same specs as mine) and gave me the restore discs from that.

Tested them there at the store and it worked just as it should have.

I even got the little black booklet that houses the DVDs, manual, stickers and cleaning cloth out of the deal!

great guy.. almost made me want to buy the new macbook pro then and there.

A guy like that deserves a call to the store manager just to let him know he has a star performer...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.