• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Light Peak event live feed blogs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The real name is Thunderbolt. The code name was Light Peak.

Thunderbolt™ Technology

Horrible choice of icon/logo, by the way. Now we're going to have dumb kids sticking their Thunderbolt iPods into high voltage power lines all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm glad to have read that Western Digital is on board from the get-go. But how long will it be until we see actual products with native TB ports on them? I think it's really weird that there's a possibility of having new MBP's with TB i/o's but no peripherals in the market to accompany them.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I think the problem is people seem to be associating Thunderbolt with usb ports, when in fact, it's similar to firewire capable devices and cables. It's probably not going to be the standard that usb is now, but that's probably not even what it was designed to become. It's for people who need that kind of speed, and will benefit from those kinds of speeds. People have had firewire accessibility for a long while, but they still use usb.

The only thing I question is, what about the Mac Pro?

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The only thing I question is, what about the Mac Pro?

And the imac :).

I think this lightpeak will kill FW 400/800 though. And it'll be just USB 2 or 3 and light peak. I think Light Peak is a much better name then thunderbolt is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

I think this lightpeak will kill FW 400/800 though. And it'll be just USB 2 or 3 and light peak. I think Light Peak is a much better name then thunderbolt is.

Oh yeah, how could I forget that!! lol:) I guess we'll have to wait for some more updates!
I agree with the name...seems too childish. But Light Peak doesn't represent fastness as well as Thunderbolt. Everyone knows what a thunderbolt is. What's a light peak??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV

Maybe they'll adopt the name light peak to the fiber optic version when they finally get it working, since that was the original design or light peak and not the copper wire version (if my facts are correct).

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Oh yeah, how could I forget that!! lol:) I guess we'll have to wait for some more updates!
I agree with the name...seems too childish. But Light Peak doesn't represent fastness as well as Thunderbolt. Everyone knows what a thunderbolt is. What's a light peak??

What's a Universal Serial Bus? What's a Firewire?
Those names don't make sense till you explain them to people. And I think the same for Light Peak. Teach the people and then they know.

Thunderbolt? Maybe it's from the android 4.x series. lol.
Thunderbolt, Stormcloud, Lightningblast etc etc.

Ok ok jokes over. The TB name does make sense. But it's not in line with the USB and FW names.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Maybe they'll adopt the name light peak to the fiber optic version when they finally get it working, since that was the original design or light peak and not the copper wire version (if my facts are correct).

That would make perfect sense, actually. Either way, even without a rename, the potential speeds you could reach once fiber is used is... I'd like those speeds. :p

What's a Universal Serial Bus? What's a Firewire?
Ok ok jokes over. The TB name does make sense. But it's not in line with the USB and FW names.

Well, when you call it TB I automatically think of tuberculosis! ;D LP doesn't seem like it'd fit in much either, I guess... I'll most likely just shorthand the name to "Thunder Port" in actual speech.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Thunderbolt really does sound stupid. But all I can think of is:

Thunder... Thunder.. Thunderbolt! HOOOOOOOOOO!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thunderbolt really does sound stupid. But all I can think of is:

Thunder... Thunder.. Thunderbolt! HOOOOOOOOOO!

Ouch! ;D

Good show, I guess, if you're talking about.... THUNDERCATS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Apple won't use USB 3.0 technology because there are few peripherals that can use it, but they are putting Thunderbolt in when there are NO peripherals that use it?? Maybe I'm just not understanding it's usefulness

Count me in the stupid name crowd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Apple won't use USB 3.0 technology because there are few peripherals that can use it, but they are putting Thunderbolt in when there are NO peripherals that use it?? Maybe I'm just not understanding it's usefulness

Count me in the stupid name crowd.

You're not alone there. I'm trying to grasp the way Thunder Bolt works too. From what I read, I think you can still benefit from its speed/technology with a cable that has a T.B. plug on one end and a display port or FW plug (or whatever) on the other end.

I'm sure a lot of peripherals and adapter wires will come out soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, isn't it time for the feed to start or something ? It's 12:20 here Central time... Why don't I see anything ?

D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
How is this technology used?

I have an imac that I plug a wacom tablet and an iphone into. And I'm never like 'dang! i wish my wacom tablet or iphone had quicker transfer speeds! Its really holding me up!'.

I also have a macbook air that I don't plug anything into. My printer is on my airport so that's wireless.

How are you guys going to benefit from a faster transfer speed? Do you have some kind of speciality devices that plug into your computer that aren't working to their potential right now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TB tech has great potential, and what I got out of that event was that currently, the greatest bottleneck is the actual speed of the peripheral it will be connected to. In our cases, SSD drives will have a fairly obvious advantage over HDD's but either will still be slower than the rated total 20gbps data throughput (20 because I'm talking both ways simultaneously with data and media).

And this is kind of what bugs me about Apple not wanting to integrate USB 3.0 ports. According to Intel, TB is supposed to compliment USB, and not replace it because its uses apply more to centralized/specific applications (mostly in the pro world). Yet, I see a HUGE contradiction here, since if TB ports are going to make their way to all consumer based peripherals, then how is this not competing directly ? And if TB doesn't make its way into the mass market, then our options are limited and we're still stuck with USB 2.0, no more Expresscard slot and those limited peripherals will probably be more expensive as well.

Not sure I believe the whole "compliment" comment made. Guess we'll have to wait and see, but I certainly wouldn't shell out for a new model just yet. I'm also really confused as to why they'd skimp on the GPU in the 13" MBP and go with the integrated Intel chip only. If it's a "Pro" model, I really don't think that an Intel graphics chip is appropriate.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now you can create a professional video setup for your MacBook Pro, just as you would for your Mac Pro. If you’re a video editor, imagine connecting high-performance storage, a high-resolution display, and high-bit-rate video capture devices to handle all the post-production for a feature film — right on your notebook. Thunderbolt I/O technology allows you to daisy-chain up to six new peripherals, such as the Promise Pegasus RAID* or LaCie Little Big Disk,* or five peripherals and an Apple LED Cinema Display.

And that’s just the beginning. With Thunderbolt technology, peripheral manufacturers finally have what they need to take high-performance devices from workstations and top-of-the-line desktops to portable computers.
Source
Although, as you'd expect, Apple will not say one bad thing about it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Engadget.com has a short explanation of the T.B. technology and a neat little diagram to show how it works. LINK
Also some pics of the cable, compatible peripherals, and the new MBP ports up close. Video will be posted soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
And this is kind of what bugs me about Apple not wanting to integrate USB 3.0 ports. According to Intel, TB is supposed to compliment USB, and not replace it because its uses apply more to centralized/specific applications (mostly in the pro world). Yet, I see a HUGE contradiction here, since if TB ports are going to make their way to all consumer based peripherals, then how is this not competing directly ? And if TB doesn't make its way into the mass market, then our options are limited and we're still stuck with USB 2.0, no more Expresscard slot and those limited peripherals will probably be more expensive as well.

Not sure I believe the whole "compliment" comment made. Guess we'll have to wait and see, but I certainly wouldn't shell out for a new model just yet.
Doug

I agree completely. I don't know if they're just trying to pretend to be non-threatening to USB 3.0 or what but when they said that its complimentary instead of a solution I was thoroughly confused because I thought its whole mission statement was to be a new standard to 'consolidate a myriad of cables'.

If its just another type of cable than that's the OPPOSITE of its purported reason for being.

I think its just going to end up being a specialty product that a few hi end videographers find helpful.

The whole consumer non-pro industry is rapidly going wireless anyway. Apple's entire ethos seems to be congruent with wireless, and that type of direction is what they've been pushing/testing with the mba for a while.

Remember when people were shocked and skeptical that it didn't have an internal cd drive and their solution was that it would wirelessly use an imac's? That actually turned out great and is how I use mine. Full speed ahead I say.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
its quite annoying, because a terabyte is TB. not thunderbolt. why cant they just stick with Light peak, LP?!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.