Recommend application for finding duplicate files?

Reaction score
Mr.Clean (free)
http://arcobaleno2001.interfree.it/prodhtm/mrclean.htm
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/arcobaleno2001/downloads/MrClean.sit

Mr.Clean downloads as a compressed Stuffit archive. You will need Stuffit Expander (a free product) to decompress the archive:
Free StuffIt Expander ® open sit, zip, rar and more

But be careful! I've heard from a number of folks who have gotten themselves into trouble with "cleaning" utilities. Keep in mind that OS X maintains multiple folders with identical names. These are not redundant duplicates.

Mr.Clean includes the option to "Exclude Library" which means that it won't look at many of your system's files. I recommend using this setting.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I've been using dupeguru. There are also music and picture edition links on the same page. When you download (if I remember correctly, click the I don't want to contribute button, but I think it's worth reading the fairware page.. It's a cool idea) dupeGuru - Duplicate file scanner

Reaction score
Gemini also does finds and deletes duplicates effectively if judge by users' reviews. It is available on the Mac App Store for $9.99 and is currently featured by Apple (Number one in New and Noteworthy category). However, it works only in OS X Lion for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I have used Dupe Guru as well, works well especially if you have a master folder and want to delete any other copies - but keep the master copies safe and sound, but also works just as well as a plain old duplicates finder

You can pay as little as $10 after you have given it a test, well worth the money

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.