Snow Leopard?Safari Problem

Reaction score
Just downloaded Snow Leopard. When I try to open Safari it tells I have the wrong version of Safari. How do I download the new version since it won't let access the inrernet?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You cannot download Snow Leopard..you can update to the newer version of Snow Leopard through Software Update..if you downloaded the initial Snow Leopard then you are pirating software and we can't help you..

Regards

OP
D
Reaction score
You cannot download Snow Leopard..you can update to the newer version of Snow Leopard through Software Update..if you downloaded the initial Snow Leopard then you are pirating software and we can't help you..

Regards

Maybe I misspoke. It's MAC OSX 10.6.6. It is not pirated. It's the box set with IPhoto, etc bought from the MAC store.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh Ok..can you access the Internet through other programs and Safari is causing you grief? And is it safe to say that that's the only browser you have installed?

Regards

OP
D
Reaction score
Ahh Ok..can you access the Internet through other programs and Safari is causing you grief? And is it safe to say that that's the only browser you have installed?

Regards

That;s it. I can't access the internet. I only have Safari.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, but I don't have a clue what it is you have done to this machine.
We need to clarify some terminology so that we're all speaking the same language and possibly allow us to assist you.

Download: to transfer data from the internet to your computer. This could be a document, a video, a piece of software... Practically anything.

Install: this is what is done with software so that it will work on your computer - either from a disc or after you have downloaded it.

As it relates to software:

Update: these are typically free - you have an existing piece of software on your computer for which the developer has issued an update to the current version of their software - typically for big fixes, incompatability issues, etc.; although they can include new features. These are almost always downloaded from the internet and then installed. Ex. You have Snow Leopard (10.6.1) on your computer and Apple puts out an update to 10.6.2 which you download and install.

Upgrade: these typically require payment - you have an existing version of a piece of software on your computer and the developer has put out a new version, which you would then purchase, download or get the disc and then install. Ex. You have Tiger (10.4) or Leopard (10.5) on your computer and you purchase Snow Leopard (10.6), get the disc and install it.

Let's start at the beginning:
What Mac do you have - is it new to you or have you had it for a while?
What all discs do you have?
What version of OS X was on it before you did whatever you did?
Or is this a new hard drive?
What did you do?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That;s it. I can't access the internet. I only have Safari.

That's two different things..if you can access the Internet in general but are having with issues with Safari, there are ways to get another browser installed so you can resolve that issue..

Open up a Terminal window and in there type the following
Code:
ping google.com

If you get "request timed out" then your Internet connection is down, but if you get a response back then do the next thing
Code:
cd ~/Downloads
wget http://dl.google.com/chrome/mac/dev/GoogleChrome.dmg

This will download Google Chrome. Open up the DMG file in Finder and don't install Chrome (yet!), just execute it from the mounted DMG file for any Internet related activities you have to do to resolve your Safari issues.

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.