Upgraded my HDD :D But need help please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (2010)- 2.4 GHz Duo- 8 GB Ram
Hey guys I just upgraded my 2010 macbook pro's laptop hard drive from 250gb to 750gb. My method of installing the disk was to clone everything from my old hard drive on to my new one. But now my system is noticably slow:( What should I do? I heard that you should do a fresh install of Mac Os and your apps on a new hard drive but I don't know how I would do that now? If i format the disk right now in disk utility, won't my MBP crash? Need help, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(Early 2011) MBP 15" 8gb ram/ 2ghz intel i7 27" iMac 3.2ghz Intel i3 4gb ram 1TB HD iPhone 4 16GB UL
im not sure of the proper commands but if you look at your boot disc that came with your laptop it says how to boot from the disk... so boot from the disk and just reformat using the disk utility from there and you wont have any problems... besides i dont think you can reformat your hard drive while your computer is running from the HD on for the simple fact that it wouldnt unmount the drive because it is in use

hope this helps.....

BTW i just had the same problem today... & everyone says use the fresh/clean install method

OP
Kobe24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay thank you very much! And one more question, when I fresh install OSx, will i need new serial codes for all of the software i have? Or is it already in the apps folder(I will be dragging some apps from my external usb to my MBP)

OP
Kobe24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im not sure of the proper commands but if you look at your boot disc that came with your laptop it says how to boot from the disk... so boot from the disk and just reformat using the disk utility from there and you wont have any problems... besides i dont think you can reformat your hard drive while your computer is running from the HD on for the simple fact that it wouldnt unmount the drive because it is in use

hope this helps.....

BTW i just had the same problem today... & everyone says use the fresh/clean install method

Thanks for your advice! Yea I think u press like c or something to let you boot from the disk. I really hope this puts my MBP back to normal speed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(Early 2011) MBP 15" 8gb ram/ 2ghz intel i7 27" iMac 3.2ghz Intel i3 4gb ram 1TB HD iPhone 4 16GB UL
with the apps idk for sure if you can just drag them if not... just email the developer and they will resend it.... i did that with alot of apps when i got my new 27"imac...

im gonna do my fresh install tomorrow... n i hope it works as well

OP
Kobe24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
with the apps idk for sure if you can just drag them if not... just email the developer and they will resend it.... i did that with alot of apps when i got my new 27"imac...

im gonna do my fresh install tomorrow... n i hope it works as well

Arite thats a good idea, and i think you could use time machine. But any ways, good luck. Im gonna do mine in a little bit. I just wish i had more patience haha! Let the forum know how ur install goes tomorow dude!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ohhhh btw one thing i have read as well if you dont know already... if the HD you got is 7200rpm & not a 5400rpm like what comes in MB's.. you will notice decreased battery life

OP
Kobe24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea i got the 5400. It was a hard decision cause it boils down to speed v. decreased batter life and loudness haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
ohhhh btw one thing i have read as well if you dont know already... if the HD you got is 7200rpm & not a 5400rpm like what comes in MB's.. you will notice decreased battery life

Yea i got the 5400. It was a hard decision cause it boils down to speed v. decreased batter life and loudness haha

No decreased battery life here with the 7200rpm HD, and no noise, heat or vibration either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
coo coo... thanks for the input..... good to hear

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.