please help with file vault

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I got my mac back after apple just replaced the hard drive and i restored using a time machine backup. I had file vault on and it wont accept a password at login saying file vault could not do something. I need to acess my documents one this is there way that i can do this? James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Are you sure you typed your password exactly like you set it up.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes i have tried all of the passwords that were on the computer. I called apple and they said that they cant do anything. I was talking to the guy at the apple store and he said he could get past the password when i gave it to them and i said i had file vault on and he said he could also get past that. I am having him call me but he cant call untill the apple store closes:Angry:
Are you sure you typed your password exactly like you set it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Mac OS X 10.5 Help: If you forget your password for your FileVault-protected account

"WARNING: Your files will be encrypted using your login password. If you forget your login password and you don't know the master password, your data will be lost."

If you have your install disc, you can boot of that and reset your admin password, and then follow the above steps to reset your filevault password.

I think using filevault is asking for trouble, and if you get this sorted, turn it off and leave it off!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just did a full restore and all i need is my applications. The reason i set it up is my friends always try to get in my computer and delete things from it so i thought that it may keep them out some
Mac OS X 10.5 Help: If you forget your password for your FileVault-protected account

"WARNING: Your files will be encrypted using your login password. If you forget your login password and you don't know the master password, your data will be lost."

If you have your install disc, you can boot of that and reset your admin password, and then follow the above steps to reset your filevault password.

I think using filevault is asking for trouble, and if you get this sorted, turn it off and leave it off!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I just did a full restore and all i need is my applications. The reason i set it up is my friends always try to get in my computer and delete things from it so i thought that it may keep them out some

Those are not real friends but you could just password protect your Mac in accounts in system preferences that way without the password they can't open
anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well change your 'friends' if you cannot trust them!

And looks like your are going to have get out the install discs and re-install or download your software as file vault will not let you access anything without that password. Pretty dangerous tool.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.