MacBook pro suddenly crashing/freezing

Reaction score
My macbook is almost 4 years old with a 2.2 ghz Intel processor, 2 gb ram, and was running on OS X Tiger for most of the time until I updated to snow leopard 2 weeks ago. After that, my computer has been freezing on random programs such as mozilla, safari and itunes. It causes the whole OS X to freeze also, I can't even move the mouse. The screen changes too, and becomes kind of grainy. It forces me to shut down with the power button and reboot with the Snow leopard update disc in. Booting in safe mode doesn't even work.

Does anybody think this is a hardware or software issue? Or any ways of resolving this because it happens at least 5 times a day.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My macbook is almost 4 years old with a 2.2 ghz Intel processor, 2 gb ram, and was running on OS X Tiger for most of the time until I updated to snow leopard 2 weeks ago. After that, my computer has been freezing on random programs such as mozilla, safari and itunes. It causes the whole OS X to freeze also, I can't even move the mouse. The screen changes too, and becomes kind of grainy. It forces me to shut down with the power button and reboot with the Snow leopard update disc in. Booting in safe mode doesn't even work.

Does anybody think this is a hardware or software issue? Or any ways of resolving this because it happens at least 5 times a day.
My MBP is from the same time frame (originally came with Tiger) but have been running Snow Leopard on it since SL came out with no problems.
This sounds to me more likely to be a hardware issue, possibly the NVIDIA problem. If so, you may get some relief on it even though out of warranty. Not certain of the details, but I think there has been some sort of settlement worked out with NVIDIA.

You might also try running the hardware checks with your system disk and/or running ONYX.
I wouldn't do the downgrade to Tiger FWIW.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.