Mac Trouble AGAIN

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB
Hi,

My Dad not having a clue what to do with his macs! He downloaded a program called drive genius 3 to try and speed it up. (do a defrag) he apparently uninstalled it every time I boot up it says drive genius cannot be found please delete using the proper installer or copy from your disc. (we only got the trial) There is no sign of the programme anymore
What do you reckon guys? Also on the log on screen I can type as much as I wont into the password box it takes 20 seconds for anything to appear?

Reaction score
Yeah, I did that. Just re-download the trial then use the uninstaller that's in the program. Seems a bit clunky, I know, but it worked for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Try going into system preferences-account and then click the Login Items tab and uncheck the Drive Genius 3 from there.

How did dad uninstall it ?? Did it have its own uninstaller or did he just drag it to the trash ??
If he just dragged it to trash and it has its own uninstaller then i would suggest to download it again and then uninstall it via its own uninstaller . . . .. . . . . .

I suggest you dl AppTrap which is a excellent little app to completely trash all related files/folders of a given file/folder that you put in the trash.
Once you have done what you need to i would do a reboot as well. This might fix the long log in as well. If not repair permission via Disk Utility as dad might not have done any good to your Mac when trying to de-frag

HTH

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if no joy there download the utility again, and see if the uninstaller comes with it and run that if so.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB
Drive genius does not show on login items? Although iTunes helper and some speech programme is on there should I remove these?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I removed the programme using the uninstaller on the Application it went straight to trash (yet to re-boot my mac) After searching in finer it did show up one more file with a HDD logo on it!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still have the lag on the log in box guys :( it takes longer to type my password than it does to boot the whole computer.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just replaced my keyboard batteries for higher quality ones and it is still the same. Basically just before and as the lagged letters appear on the log on screen the green light on my keyboard shines solid for about 10 seconds! For some reason could my keyboard be disconnecting from my mac every time it is shut down?

VERY ODD!!!

I opened system preferences even though I could type with my keyboard it did not pick the keyboard up as a bluetooth one :/ I selected set up bluetooth keyboard turned it of and on connected fine by the time I got to the menus it said connection lost :( Even though I can still type with it. I AM VERY CONFUSED could it be that my keyboard is malfunctioning? I did spill a tiny drop of cola on it yesterday :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well that answers your keyboard problem. Cordial is full of sugar and that can be fatal for a keyboard so keep drinks well, well away! When things are up and going download the utility again and see if the uninstaller comes with it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok... I will have to get the key fixed on it and then drop into the apple store and get it replaced

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.