Slow Boot time after HDD upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
I upgraded my RAM and HD a couple of months ago. At first the boot time shortened to about 30 seconds, but in the last several weeks it has slowed to close to 2 minutes. Here's everything I've tried:

1. Ran all clean-up utilities in Onyx.
2. Repaired disk permissions in the "disk utility" app (I think that's what it's called).
3. Reset NVRAM/PRAM.
4. Resolved duplicate fonts in the font book (suggested in another thread in another forum).

If you have any other suggestions please share them with me. I haven't installed any new programs in this time frame so I have no idea why it suddenly slowed back down. It's very frustrating.

TIA.

(to the mods...I wasn't sure if this was a hardware or software issue. Please move this thread if needed)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you checked to see what may be running at start up?

System Preferences, Accounts, Login Items.

MacIntosh HD/Library/StartupItems/

MacIntosh HD/Library/LaunchAgents/

MacIntosh HD/Library/LaunchDaemons/

OP
AUZambo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I checked the startup items last night and there was just one thing - a back-up utility that came with an external hard drive I got for Christmas a few years ago. I do want to remove it since I've NEVER used that back-up function. I simply copy and paste the things I want to back-up onto the external.

However, since that has been running upon startup for a couple of years I doubt that's the problem.

I haven't checked the LaunchAgents or LaunchDaemons yet. I'll do that when I get home.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And that utility no doubt is Windows friendly only? Just remove it by highlighting and hitting the little (-) button and see if that helps.

OP
AUZambo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And that utility no doubt is Windows friendly only? Just remove it by highlighting and hitting the little (-) button and see if that helps.
No...it works with my mac and I did use it once (the very first time I plugged in my external HD)...but I realized I didn't need it.

Removing it won't be a problem...it's just that I didn't find it 'til late last night and didn't think to delete it then. In the past when trying to get rid of it I looked in the applications and searched for it in spotlight...neither of which turned up anything.

OP
AUZambo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you checked to see what may be running at start up?

System Preferences, Accounts, Login Items.

MacIntosh HD/Library/StartupItems/

MacIntosh HD/Library/LaunchAgents/

MacIntosh HD/Library/LaunchDaemons/

Thanks...those bottom two I believe are what did it. I trashed something from Adobe, Bombich (Carbon Copy Cleaner), and memeo (Western Digital backup software). I also found a post in another forum that told me all the crazy places I had to go to to get rid of all the "WD Backup Anywhere" files.

Boot time is back to 35 seconds....now if I can find out what's causing the fans to roar at max speed non-stop I'll be set!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Also head into System Preferences - Startup Disk - make sure your OS X partition is selected there. I just did a clone to a new drive and took me 2 weeks to figure out why my boot time was sitting at 45 seconds. This one thing dropped it to 21 seconds. 35 seconds is probably pretty good if that new drive is a 5400 rpm, but definitely worth checking.

OP
AUZambo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also head into System Preferences - Startup Disk - make sure your OS X partition is selected there. I just did a clone to a new drive and took me 2 weeks to figure out why my boot time was sitting at 45 seconds. This one thing dropped it to 21 seconds. 35 seconds is probably pretty good if that new drive is a 5400 rpm, but definitely worth checking.
Wow...21 seconds is pretty awesome.

I did check the boot disk and the right drive is selected unless I'm missing something. The only options I had were Macintosh HD and Network. I highlighted Mac HD and click the restart button. Unfortunately, it didn't make a difference.

I'll keep browsing around for possible changes to increase speed, but I'm very pleased with a 35 second boot. It was just the 2 minute boot that was killing me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.