LONG TIME Windows user switched to Apple

Reaction score
So let me start off by saying that I am a 24 year old Graduate student who really does not do a lot of design work on the computer. I mainly use the computer for my music, movies, the odd video editing, email, etc. (I guess I am just an average computer user).

That might be a main reason why it took me so long to move to Apple, as I had always heard "Mac's are for photoshop and video editing". I moved into my new place and started my graduate studies, and noticed my roommate has a MBP 13", and all I had was a Lenovo Thinkpad from school (although this computer is very good internally, i7 chip, quad core 500 GB 6 GB ram).

One day I asked if I could use his MBP just to check it out because of my natural curiosity and I instantly LOVED this thing. The ease of everything, everything is right there and so easy to use; not to mention the beautiful construction of it. Needless to say, I was blown away. So I started looking into my needs and decided on the iMac 27" (i3, 3.2 Ghz, 1TB, upgraded to 12GB by me, because apple is a rip off).

Not only was I a windows user, but I have been a devoted Blackberry guy for the past 5-6 years; and that soon changed as well. I had never really used an iPhone, although my best friend has always tried to get me to check it out, but I decided to check it out; I figured I just spent 2 grand on a desktop, I might as well give it a shot. So I hooked up my friend's iPhone 3gs to my iMac, and yet again I was blown away. From the apps, to syncing, to the touch screen, I quickly realized the besides BBM, the Blackberry was FAR inadequate to the iPhone. 2 Days later I was the owner of a brand new iPhone 4.

I know most people don't even care about this kind of thing, but I figured this is a place to people who have switched and some people might be in the same boat debating on whether or not to switch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Uh oh! You've caught the bug! ;D Welcome to the forums, sir! Thanks for sharing your story there. Stop by here for loads of help, information, and friendly conversation!

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
yes! I have definitely caught the bug.

I have not used my Windows based laptop (aside from school work on SPSS, which my school supplies) since I got the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Welcome to the world of Mac/Apple. :)
That's an impressive iMac you have and you were very wise to upgrade the RAM yourself. Although, 12GB is overkill if you're an "average computer user", as you put it. But at least it's ready for anything you throw at it now. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Might I ask where you got that RAM from by the way? Just curious is all. :)

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
frupt finally

I completely agree with the overkill of 12Gb, but I had 4 GB in there and my buddy who works at Best Buy got me a KILLER deal on a 2 x 4GB kit. It came out to be about 10$ more than just a simple 4GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well isn't that a score! Connections get you places, and cheap RAM!

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
Yes, definitely, my intention was to upgrade to 8GB but I don't tend to say no to good deals!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I completely agree with the overkill of 12Gb, but I had 4 GB in there and my buddy who works at Best Buy got me a KILLER deal on a 2 x 4GB kit. It came out to be about 10$ more than just a simple 4GB.

Nicely done. Can't argue with a screamin' deal like that. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Nicely done. Can't argue with a screamin' deal like that. :D

That depends on whether it was $10 more than 4GB from somewhere like OWC, or $10 more than it was from Apple.

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
Yes it does, but I would never be caught paying Apple prices for upgrades like that!

I paid 105.99+ tax (Canadian) for the two 4 GB.

From what I can see, thats cheaper than OWC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb
So, you played with a Mac and bought one... played with an iPhone and bought one...

Unless you have $600+ burning a hole in your pocket, you better keep your hands off an iPad!

I was a long-time Windows user, too... actually, I go back to the MS-DOS days. I bought an iPod years ago because they seemed like the best looking and best thought out MP3 player. Then I lost it on a plane (oops) and bought an iPod video. Then I started seeing the hype behind the iPad before it came out and I KNEW that it would "just work" for me. I bought the 3G the day it came out. 3rd in line at Best Buy. Words cannot express how much I love the iPad. I'm watching Comcast Xfinity on-demand on it right now, in fact...

... So, when I finally got fed up with my spyware-ridden Windows notebook, I knew I had to go with an Apple. I bought the Mac Mini, hooked it up to my 46" Toshiba, and just sit back with my wireless keyboard (bought it for the iPad) and magic mouse and LOVE LIFE!

By the way, I bought it with the 2 gigs of ram and bought 8 gigs for $109 and installed it myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... So, when I finally got fed up with my spyware-ridden Windows notebook, I knew I had to go with an Apple. I bought the Mac Mini, hooked it up to my 46" Toshiba, and just sit back with my wireless keyboard (bought it for the iPad) and magic mouse and LOVE LIFE!

You have no idea how jealous of you I am! Do you get to sit on the couch and everything?!?! :eek:

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
No, i've played with the iPad but I don't really like it as much. Seems like a glorified iPhone 4, to me it feels really similar in power.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb
No, i've played with the iPad but I don't really like it as much. Seems like a glorified iPhone 4, to me it feels really similar in power.

I can't argue with that... since it has the same processor as the iPhone. But the format is what matters. The screen size is more "right" for web browsing and movie watching. I can also remotely access my Mac (or my PC at work) with the iPad. Yeah, I could do that with my iPhone4, but the screen is too small to make it worthwhile.

It is especially nice since I have the unlimited data plan. I was stuck in a traffic jam the other day and I was watching Chappelle's Show while everyone else was hating life. I use it at work all the time. I can bring u p our company's web site and hand the iPad to a customer rather than taking them back to my desk.

The iPad handles email, web, basic gaming, music, video, etc. I have absolutely no need for my Windows notebook now. It is MUCH easier to take with me. The battery lasts for days... the notebook lasts about an hour. It never heats up... You can't sit my notebook in your lap if you are wearing shorts or you'll end up in the burn ward. As the man says... it "just works".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I know most people don't even care about this kind of thing, but I figured this is a place to people who have switched and some people might be in the same boat debating on whether or not to switch.

A lot of people care about things like this. And they are in the same boat. Should I switch? It's a hard question. But it seems that the Apple eco-system is what you are really after.

Just one point. If you get an imac and for ever what ever reason don't like OS X you can use windows on the imac with no hassles. I can't see any reason you'd not love OS X but my point is the choice is there.

And good luck with it all.

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
Yeah, I like the OS X a lot more. Easier to use, and once I learn the nuances I believe it will be more productive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
Bro, I was a PC user since DOS. (I'm 26, I've been a nerd since early childhood.) Windows user from 3.1-7. Got a MBP last Friday. WILL NEVER LOOK BACK. (Although I am kind of irritated that the new MBP came out today, hehe)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I laugh a little laugh when I see 'tips on how to get your PC to run faster' or 'how to clean up your PC' when surfing the net with my MBP. With my Mac, it ran just as fast as the day I first bought it with virtually no maintenance. Worth every 'overpriced' penny for my Mac =)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.