Airport not connecting

Reaction score
Hello!

Looking for some help and advice please peeps.
I have a MacBook Pro with SL 10.6.6 installed. I've had it for around 9months with absolutely no problems at all. However, yesterday the wireless connection suddenly dropped. I was streaming the latest episode of TopGear via BBC iPlayer when it suddenly stopped half way through. I thought the broadband had dropped initially, but upon checking another PC in the house all was fine. Since then I've not been able to get the Airport to re-connect to the Netgear router. I spent quite a bit of time searching around via Google to find solutions, but alas no joy so far. I can confirm that the Netgear router is using WPA-PSK encryption and works with other wireless devices. I do use Little Snitch, but have completely turned that off since the problems began. I Have removed the Airport in network preferences and moved the system configuration folder and then re-added again after. Have tried rebooting and a PRAM reset (I think).

I'm now at a complete loss and just wondered if anyone could shed any more light or point me in the right direction?

Much appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might want to run the Apple Hardware Test on your machine. If the Airport card died in your computer, you would lose connection. Try hooking an ethernet cable between the router and your MBP to see if you can receive the net that way.

If your machine is only 9 months old, it's still covered under the Apple warranty. If the Airport card is defective, Apple will replace it for free.

Apple Hardware Test

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks!

Connection via ethernet was working just fine.
I have since managed to get it working again, although I'll be perfectly honest and say I've no idea how!! I'm not sure if one of the methods I tried earlier I did incorrectly and then did properly at the second attempt...Who knows...All I know is panic over...Wireless connection has been fine for the past hour now :)

Phew!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What security are you using - WPA2 Personal minimum recommended?

Ton

Reaction score
I have just experienced the exact same problem on a 7 month old Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard. The wireless connection dropped on restarting from sleep mode, having been rock solid previously. All other wireless devices on the network were connecting normally. Rebooting the router made no difference. Diagnostics and attempting to manually select a network made no difference. I then turned off and restarted the airport device from the network settings menu on the Mac and that worked instantly! Odd but it got the job done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.