auto-arrange icons in a folder?

Reaction score
Not quite sussed this one out yet. A typical folder will end up a right mess with icons spread over a much wider area than my viewing window. When I resize a window in Windows XP all the icons automatically rearrange themselves in real time to give the best arrangement to fit the viewing area, yet in OS X this does not happen - or is there a little setting I need to apply somewhere?
If I do Tidy Up files or selection, it just snaps them to a grid but some may still remain spread out, out of view, I just want a quick easy way of keeping the folder viewing the icons optimised.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Finder> View> View Options

You can customise all sorts in there, should be something to get it looking as you want. Keep arranged by... is also there too.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
you can also right click on the window, and hit arrange by... this will tidy them up into the viewing area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If I do Tidy Up files or selection, it just snaps them to a grid but some may still remain spread out, out of view, I just want a quick easy way of keeping the folder viewing the icons optimised.

Based on your description, I'm assuming you use Icon View.
Arrange by Name or Date ____ (2 choices) and you'll get them all in neat rows and columns, with no gaps. Then if you want a custom arrangement, select None or Snap to Grid, now that you can see them all. Of course, if you get enough items, your screen won't be big enough for all of them to show. You can reduce the icon size to fix that, until you get too many for even the smallest icons.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.