• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

FCP file sizes

Reaction score
Hi all -

I have a question about setup and file sizes with FCP. Right off the bat, I apologize for newb questioning. I am completely green to HD videography, but my job has landed me in complete command of a Panasonic AG-HMC150 AVCHD camcorder, a brand new spec'd out iMac, and the full Final Cut Pro studio. Needless to say, I am geeked. But, I know practically nothing. My experience is in still photography (amateur) and video on my HTC EVO, edited to some degree in iMovie.

All I know at the moment - and need to figure out - is that we are using a 2TB external HD and with about a dozen hours of footage, it says it's at 1.55 TB used. We flew right out of the gate recording at full 1080p HD, but I never imagined we'd use that much space so quickly. The videographer that helped us set up didn't either. He is hopefully going to come help me asap (and might even be on this board....?), but he's very busy (and the time would be donated).

First step for me is to back the resolution down for almost everything I'm doing. Then I need to archive off these files somewhere else. (and I know we have duplicates in a "scratch folder", so I need to figure that out). But my initial question is this, to anyone familiar with shooting full HD and working in FCP: Does this sound right? Should shooting and storing clips at this camera's full resolution really take that much space, or is this a configuration issue that I can get around? My 1 hour clips - ironically saved initially to a 32GB SD card - are showing as 100+GB each. If a 2TB HD lasts a month and a half, I'm screwed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.