OSX does not load (Snow Leopard)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM, 256MB nVidia Graphics, 250 HDD
Hey guys,

I just encountered my first problem with my Macbook Pro. :(

Yesterday it suddenly froze (after I opened it to resume activities) and I had to sink the power button to restart. Now the OSX won't load (it stays on the spinning loading for too long until a Cancel sign replaces the Apple). I can't enter Safe mode and neither will boot the OSX DVD... it just hangs in there.

I'm nearly afraid of keep touching it. What can I do? :'(

It's a: MacBook Pro, 2.53GHz, 250GB HDD, 4GB RAM running on Snow Leopard).

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
sounds like you had a kernel panic, which means something hardware related has gone wrong on your computer.

Resolving Kernel Panics

this site has alot of useful info on kernel panics.

if you are comfortable opening up a computer, you can unplug each of the ram sticks one at a time, and see if its due to a a bad stick.

The worst case scenario is that your hard drive has died, in which case, i hope you backed up. do you hear any clicking, or any sounds when booting your computer, listening to the right of the trackpad?

however we need to try and boot to the DVD. try holding just option at startup with the OS disc inside. you should be able to select the disc this way to boot.

EDIT: if your computer is still under warranty, get apple to deal with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.