Bootcamp Refuses To Create Partition After Time Machine Restore

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently tried to partition the hard drive of my iMac (3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 SDRAM, running 10.6.6) using Bootcamp (Unsure of version but i'm assuming its up to date) and was met with the message telling me some items could not be moved, I then reformatted my HD (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) and restored with time machine with hope that this would fix the problem, now Bootcamp refuses to even start up and gives me the message "You must update your system software before using this setup assistant".

I've run software update countless times and have downloaded everything its asked me to, but still no luck with bootcamp. I've read around and havn't been able to find an answer on this or any other forum, journaling is on (i'm assuming as the option in disk utility is greyed out and it tells me the format is journaled) and I was wondering if anyone had any idea of how to solve this v annoying problem.

Cheers

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
is your OS from the backup 10.6.6? im assuming so.

also, right click on bootcamp assistant and find out the version number of the software.

it should be 3.something.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
"You must update your system software before using this setup assistant".

Did you run software update before you ran the TM restore? Do that first and try again, let's see if that works.

OP
P
Reaction score
Ok, here's an update: I ran software update and tried the same process again, inserted snow leopard cd, erased HD, reformatted (os X journalled) and restored using my TM backup, i've run software update again, however now when i try and run bootcamp the message i get is:

"the startup disc cant be partitioned or restored to a single partition. The statup disc must be formatted as a single mac osx extended (journaled) volume or already partitoned by boot camp assistant for installing windows"

Is this progress?? :S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.