Where can i find my /.trash File ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I put this here as it has to do with my Ext HDD...

Now i did a scan with Daisy Duck bc i couldnt work out where or my space had gone. Now i have trashed some stuff off it to free some up. Now DD is showing a file SD Backup/User/Me/.Trash

Now where do i find this file ?? In DD you can look at it in the wagon wheel and then right click and show in finder. I do this and Finder window opens only. I can go to Finder with any other file i was looking for, but not this trash file :( 160GB sitting in it so i would like rid it . . .

Am i right in thinking i am going to have to boot off the Ext HDD and empty trash that way ?? :Angry: Hope not

Any help please and thank you :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Now DD is showing a file SD Backup/User/Me/.Trash
The .Trash folder is a hidden folder that the Trash icon in your Dock links to, which should contain your space hog.

You should be able to get at the folder when you use the Finders go to command (command+shift+g) and paste in the path to the SD Backup .Trash folder (SD Backup/User/Me/.Trash)
Then provided you see the file just trash it again, which will move it into your internal HDs trash folder. Empty the trash after that and it should be gone.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
As soon as i saw you posted mate before i read the post i got excited. Thought you where going to throw a command line at me lol

Well no joy. Did as instructed and it came back with file not found :( Any other ideas ?? Booting from the backup then emptying the trash that way ??

Thanks for anything mate

Cheers

Reaction score
Try this:
cd /Volumes/'SD Backup'/Users/Me/.Trash
ls -la (to find the file if hidden or not)
rm (name of file)
if needed: sudo rm (name of file)

If the name of the drive contains a space don't forget to escape it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I was going to post the command line next, ty cradom.
It should work, unless something else is outta whack.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you both . . . . . Just to clarify if i copy and paste the lines (i dont know terminal that well) do i hit return after each entry ???

And whats this *to escape it* cradom speaks of ??? lol

I just dont want to screw anything up like i know terminal can do Thanks again

Cheers

Reaction score
The shell reads commands one word at a time, so anything with a space in it can confuse it.
You need to "escape" names with a space in it using either / or ' so the shell treats it as one word.
And yes, a return after each line.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool thanks again . . .

Ran the first command and got 'file or directory' not found. Not being big on terminal

@McYukon not sure if that means something is out of whack. In the end i booted from the the Ext HDD and just emptied trash that way. Appreciate the effort though. As i said im not big on terminal so to try take it any further working out why it didnt show anything with the command line, would be a waste at this point, as i dont understand it enough to work out what your saying without putting it in easy speak ;)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the only logical thing that I can think off now and sorta suspected from the beginning is that your .Trash folder got corrupted with data inside so that it no longer was seen by the system as a folder(directory) hence the "file or directory" not found error and DD showing the .Trash as a file instead of a folder.
But you got it fixed so all is well. :)

As you can see, I can look into the .Trash folder using DD.
zwskqtxlmnc913j

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.